USC Basketball, Tim Floyd going down

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Terrebonne95, May 12, 2009.

1. Terrebonne95

Terrebonne95 LSU fan in Korea

Floyd gave cash to Mayo handler - Yahoo! Sports
    Floyd gave cash to Mayo handler - Yahoo! Sports

Floyd gave cash to Mayo handler

By Charles Robinson and Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES – USC men’s basketball coach Tim Floyd made a direct cash payment to a man who helped deliver O.J. Mayo to the Trojans program, according to Louis Johnson, a former member of Mayo’s inner circle.

Johnson, a one-time Mayo confidant, has told both NCAA investigators and federal authorities – including the FBI, IRS and U.S. Attorney’s Office – that Floyd gave at least $1,000 in cash to Rodney Guillory, a man who allegedly lavished Mayo with improper benefits while the guard starred for the Trojans.

Such an act would constitute a major NCAA violation for USC, which is the subject of an ongoing three-year investigation into alleged improprieties in both the football and men’s basketball programs.

Approached by Yahoo! Sports at his California residence on Friday, Guillory declined to comment. A message left on Floyd’s cell phone Tuesday was not immediately returned. The NCAA and USC also declined to comment.

“As you know, USC can’t comment on any issue that’s the subject of an ongoing NCAA and Pac-10 investigation,” USC general counsel Carol Mauch Amir said.

The revelation involving Floyd is the latest allegation put forth by Johnson, who described Guillory to Yahoo! Sports as a long-time “runner” who steered Mayo to the Bill Duffy Associates (BDA) sports agency. Johnson said Guillory received between $200,000 and $250,000 from BDA Sports for his efforts, which resulted in Mayo initially signing with BDA when he left USC after one season for the NBA in April 2008.

---------------------
    Long article, so click link to read the rest.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Let me get this straight. Yahoo which is really Rivals and owned by a Bama Grad (that's for you TB :hihi:) is full o poop when it comes to recruiting evaluations but spot on for other "stuff". And Herbstreit teetered on the verge of libel when he reported Miles to Michigan but Johnson is a straight up reliable source?

Nevermind the article's headline doesn't include the word "allegation". That only comes in the smaller print. Does it make sense that $1k would be much of anything when the initial allegations were in the thousands of dollars from an agent? And why did Mr. Johnson wait so long?

The NCAA conducted their own investigation of Mayo's recruitment prior to his enrollment. Sounds like their inability is a more interesting and reliable story.

3. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I hope it's not true because I like Tim Floyd. Do I believe that someone paid Mayo?...Yes. Who?...I don't know.

I'm more interested in that whiner Petey Carroll. I would love to see him nailed to the wall. He can shove that little AP trophy he cried for where the sun doesn't shine.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

yep, you got it straight.:hihi:

i have no idea who paid who etc., but if these kids did get paid and then switched agents or didn't go with the agent who paid them, they are idiots. You sell your soul to the devil and you better keep up with your end of the bargain or the devil will resort to dirty tactics.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

It probably was more than one thousand, but so what? Mayo still was underpaid.

It's ridiculous that there are all those NCAA regs prohibiting anything of remote value bestowed on the players. In the name of amateurism? Heck no!! When was the last time the Olympic dream team had an amateur on the team? Even the Olympic committee realizes amateurism is a joke. Wake up and smell the ethics NCAA. :).

(Y'all know me by now :hihi:)

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you really defend this since the court papers arent signed?

i dont think recruiting evaluations which are subjective matter here. dont fool yourself, floyds in trouble.

the ncaa's inability is not news much less more interesting than another SC player getting paid.

but the only thing that bothers me is how we didnt outbid 1000 bucks. pisses me off if thats the total sum. our alums have to do much better than this.

7. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

If this is all true, it makes me even happier that we have CTJ and not him. The last thing we need is a coach bringing sanctions to us because he is an idiot, ala Indiana.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

[​IMG]

:popcorn:

1 person likes this.
  9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

We need a popcorn and beer emoticon, like this one. [​IMG]

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

$1,000 for mayo? jeez. i would thing that we could generate that much with everyone here contributing a measly dollar. tirk's right on this, we need to try harder. :hihi: