Upon Further Review: Offensive offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Don Castavez, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

I’ m currently watching Jacksonville game and I got to thinking . Jags recent prominence has come about due to their defense. They win because teams can’t score on them not because they can score on anybody.
    Guess who that then reminded me of?
    QUESTION: when was last time our heroes consistently won games because of a potent offense?? Mettenberger years? Couple of Josh Booty games ?
    Bert Jones?????

2. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

It would definitely help the team if LSU didn’t lose so many juniors to the NFL every year, especially from the defense.

The NFL uses college football as a free farm league. They receive all the benefits without ever paying anything for it. What benefits does college football receive from the NFL?

The NFL should pay the schools something for every junior that leaves early.

TheRealist likes this.
  3. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Wouldn't stop the exodus of juniors who would be drafted in the first few rounds. No way any of them would pass up that kind of $$$$. Who could blame them? Thinking the NFL would reemberce the schools is ludicrous.

LSUpride123 and TerryP like this.
  4. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

There are only 2 players on our team right now ready for the NFL. But 6+ will leave early.

5. JaxTigFan

JaxTigFan Founding Member

Not a good weekend to be a Tigers and Jags fan.

Brian likes this.
  6. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Saw commercial other day that said NCAA made a billion last year. Why would they need NFL money. As you said, true issue with early departure is overestimated draft value.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  7. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

What’s so bizarre is Fournette and DJ leave LSU where qbs sucked to play for Jags where Bortles is vomit

Brian and JaxTigFan like this.
  8. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

To pay the players for the service they put in. I think more of the marginal players would stay if they were paid a decent salary. Just look at Alabama. It works for them

Pjoe, lsu-i-like and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Youre fooling yourself if you think the reason NCAA/schools aren't paying is because they are short on cash and need an NFL bailout.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

LSU is spending a little under 30,000 per year on each football player.
    Add room, board, tuition, and expenses which are covered by their scholarships and we're looking at roughly 33K.
    The exposure is something we really can't put a price on so let's set that aside.

That leaves us looking at compensation of over 60,000 per year for each athletes. But, giving them more money is the answer. Right. Got it.

Except...we're left looking for examples of where throwing more money at a perceived issue has actually worked. If you pay a kid a dollar, he's going to go where he can make two. Suggesting such makes as much sense as it did when the media bought the narrative that the UCONN player didn't have enough money to eat during the season. (I'm still baffled why no one asked how he spent the money he already had considering other UCONN players didn't have his "issue.")

There's your answer to the problem. It's been somewhat curtailed by the limit the NFL has placed on how many players can be graded from each school. What's not being addressed are the people players are talking with--with whom are they getting their advice?

shane0911, furduknfish and GregLSU like this.