Upon further analysis, United was entirely WRONG

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Apr 11, 2017.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'd have taken the 1000 bucks if they also threw in a hotel room and let me fly out the next day for free.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It was Vegas. Throw in $1000 of chips and you have a deal.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

You guys are EZ. WAPO had an article in last week or so about a lady making $11,000 over a weekend when Deltas schedules were hosed up by weather. Think bigger!

4. LaSalleAve

The easy way out of this is to quit overbooking flights

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm guessing but airlines probably overbook flights because a certain percentage of booked passengers are no-shows so on most flights there are extra seats to sell. When it doesn't work out that way instead of just turning away late arrivals like they should they offer incentives to already booked passengers to willingly get bumped. I never have seen any reason that Dao was ordered to leave the plane after he refused to get bumped and before the incident escalated.

Winston1 likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

This flight wasn't overbooked. They wanted 4 seats to send United employees to Louisville. However, overbooking occurs mostly because the airlines play roulette queuing. Like Bengal said, they know a certain number of passengers will no-show so they sell more seats. Sometimes the odds don't work out and everyone shows up. That's when the problem occurs but if you consider the total number of flights in a given day, the problem doesn't happen all that often.

And if you fly at all, you sorta want them to do this, otherwise, ticket prices continue to suck.....worse than they already do.
    Dao was randomly picked by ''a computer'' as one of 4 to be require to leave for the United employees. 2 people had already left the plane. Dao claimed he was a doctor and refused to leave.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  7. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

im a 100K flyer with United. the flight crews for United are generally ok (never up to par with the old Continental crews), but the crews from LA, OHare, and Newark are by and large very customer unfriendly.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's a fucked up way of doing it. They should just keep upping the ante until the required number of passengers are bumped willingly. I have no sympathy for Dao because he is a scumbag but that could happen to anybody.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

This guy, Dao, had anger management issues. This could be an ugly court case.

10. LaSalleAve

That makes it even worse. That they booted this guy because they wanted their own employees on the plane.