Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

Loston would be in there instead of McCray if he thought Loston would give us a better chance at being successful on defense. Hypothetically.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Now you're just setting me up for being disappointed. LOL.

3. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Code:
    Nope. LSU needs somebody younger, more aggressive, more driven. Not John Chavis. 
    I sympathize with the thought here but I don't agree that it is accurate. What LSU needs is not necessarily a whiz kid......we need a proven commodity to remove any uncertainty about the programs IMMEDIATE FUTURE.

Goals for this DC hire should be:

1) prevent any spillover from this season into recruiting, solid ties in the south among high school coaches and players.

2) squash any major media talk about program decline at LSU......NO MORE FIRST TIME DCs PLEASE! THIS IS NOT A TIME FOR ON THE JOB TRAINING! NO KEN NORTON JR types....we want someone who is not calling his first game on opening day next year.

3) ability to develop players, coaches sound technique, tackling, etc.

4) someone with a presence, credibility, attitude, toughness.....

LSU can and will compete for SEC championships with solid but not earth shattring defense...we can't try to find the next up and coming Nick Saban, it's too risky.....Les is only one more "roll of the dice" hire blowing up in his face from getting on the hot seat in 2010. LSU is a dream job for a head coach....he wants to blow that that less than anyone on this board.

In short Les needs to be able to turn the keys over to this guy and then go home and sleep well immediately. It's been a tough year.

:milesmic:

4. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Kiffin isn't keeping Chavis as DC, maybe as LB coach but that is a step down. Chavis was making over $250K as the Tenn. DC I doubt he would take less if there was a DC job available. Chavis is the guy who helped Fullmer keep his job for so long. I don't know about him being a great recruiter and there is nothing much to cherry pick from the state of Tenn. Coordinators usually stay on campus and the assistants go out and recruit only 7 of the 9 assistants and coordinators are allowed to recruit off campus.

5. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

Think Chavis will go wherever Fulmer goes....say if Fulmer goes to Clemson or Miss. St?

Watching UT's defense made hopeful for to see that style of D again at LSU!

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Do you seriously expect Fulmer to land another major HC job? I think his game yesterday was his last as a coach.

Chavis would be a great pick up. So would Miss State's DC, if he's not retained however their staff turnover shakes out.

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I think this guy would make a great DC...
    [​IMG]

8. Blue TurboDog

if you believe the quotes on the ESPN ticker...he doesn't sound done...

9. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Quotes he made? Were they about coaching again? I didn't see them, but I can't foresee another program wanting to hire him.

He's seen as damaged goods IMO and the game may have passed him by.

10. Blue TurboDog

He sais something along the lines of being interested if the program had fire and desire to succeed...a la Clemson....he would not rule it out!