Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

depends. mine is 14.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

And the earliest thread started out of any of the LSU message boards on Chavis, Nov. 18. :thumb:

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

You've got in backwards. Chavis did a great job against Spurrier's unstoppable Gators. That's why he's one of the most respected DCs in college football.

As for how he has done against Urban Meyer's Florida, I have no idea, I haven't really been paying attention to the Tenn/FL game in recent years. The talent at Tenn isn't on the level of Urban Meyer's Florida.

But I did watch Tenn vs Florida this year, and the Tenn D did awesome. The reason Florida won so big was because of special teams (Florida's kick and punt returns gashed the Vols all night) and because of turnovers, the Vols offense turned it over 3 times, while Florida turned it over zero times.

In fact, Tenn's D was by far the most successful D against Florida this year: They held Florida to 243 yards. Florida put up 345 on Miami, 358 on Bama, 373 on Georgia, 406 on Hawaii, 422 on Vandy, 443 on Ole Miss, 446 on Kentucky, 475 on LSU, 502 on Florida State, 514 on Arkansas, 519 on South Carolina

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

This is the second set of threads I've seen, turning to dogging Chavis for his record against UF. The man hasn't even started and some instantly find something to complain about. Without looking it up I would venture to say that since 1995 noone, with the exception of UGA & LSU (probably even at best), has a winning record against UF. They have dominated the SEC East for the past 15 yrs, give or take a yr here and there.

5. GoVols1967

GoVols1967 Freshman

You're getting a first-class DC in John Chavis. And a really fine man of his word. He's a Carolina native so you'll have to teach him a little about good food, but otherwise, he'll jack up LSU's defense for sure.

One thing to watch for: Chief will swear that he doesn't run a soft-zone on third and long, so don't believe your eyes when you see it. But you're gonna get really smart defense... he doesn't allow the Dline to take more than 5 reps before a breather, so fourth-quarter play will always be good. He was great for us at UT and he'll be great down there.

Best of luck, Tigers (except for 2010)

2 people like this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thanks.

stick around.

i think we need some urnge around here.

7. GoVols1967

GoVols1967 Freshman

One other thing; go heavy on the cajun fare, but don't mention barbecue. He's a regular on the Memphis Pulled-Pork circuit and he knows what he's doing.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Thanks for posting. And welcome to the forum.

I can only think of maybe one other Vol fan that has ever posted on here.

We welcome your input.

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Reactions from Bama fans on Tidefans to the new of Chavis to LSU:

It seems to me that this may be the best thing that Les Miles has done since he has been at LSU ... Miles has seemed to a lot of us to be bullheaded and lucky. This hire seems to indicate that he may know what he's doing after all. As a Bama fan, I was feeling better before I heard this.

I think it is a good hire. Chavis always had good defenses.

I think this could be a good hire

Chavis has not had the luxury of a D Line at UT in quite a while which certainly limited his willingness to be more aggressive.... A problem he should not have at LSU with their talent.

I'm impressed with the hire. LSU gets a defensive coordinator who knows the SEC very well and has loads of talent to work with. He will have more talent to work with at LSU this year than he has had in the last 5 at Tennessee.

Much like Malzahn to Auburn, I think it's a good hire for LSU.

Good hire.... I wish he would have gone to Clemson.

10. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Surprisingly respectful for a Bama board.