Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Was at the Saints game..

Confirmed? :crystal:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I wonder if Mallory will coach the DBs now?

Still an option that is open.

We finally have a legit LB coach. Hurray!

3. Apextiger

Apextiger Founding Member

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

That was last nights rumor(I have tracked this thing a little too much)lol!

Tigerdropping's Belowpar posted early this moring that it's Chavis, hours before ESPN reported...FWIW

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Add:

Chavis, one of the Southeastern Conference's most successful defensive coordinators at Tennessee from 1995-2008 with an aggressive, blitzing style, said Monday he recently spoke with LSU coach Les Miles. But he said he will not be able to speak in detail about the LSU position until later in the week.
    "He loves to blitz and play man-to-man defense," said former Tennessee linebacker Eric Westmoreland
    "Coach Chavis never lets an offense dictate how the game's going to be played to his defense. If he has cornerbacks who can play man, he's going to play man and blitz and pressure the quarterback from different places. That's his trademark. He'll bring cornerbacks, safeties, linebackers. We all got sacks."
    "His No. 1 deal is if you're going to try to sit back there and throw 25 or 30 times a game, your quarterback is going to get hit early and often," former Tennessee quarterback Casey Clausen said Monday. "He'll bring a whole lot of emotion and physical style to practice and into the games. He loves to get after the quarterback. I think he would be a great fit at LSU."

--USAToday (LINK)

5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

anyone know who belowpar is? he knows a lot it seems i'm wondering if he's a former player or something. we're the same age.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

This is a very good hire. Well since everyone wants to pound their chest for having broke the story, I will add that I posted early this morning that the chatter would start today. Why you might ask. Well simply because I knew the answer and have for over 3 weeks. Why didn't I say anything, well because I am sworn to secrecy. Did I tell anyone about the meetings and phone calls that were being denied by Miles, yep I did. There is one person I shared this information with 3 weeks ago, and they, like me, kept it a secret. How did I come upon this information, lets just say I have my closely related ways.

1 person likes this.
  7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Comparision how Chavis did against 2007 Arkansas compared to how Pelini did against 2007 Arkansas:

In 2007, Chavis' defense held Arkansas to 127 rushing yards and 289 total in a 34-13 victory. Later that same season, LSU had its worst game in 14 years against the rush as the No. 1 Tigers and former defensive coordinator Bo Pelini allowed 385 yards in a 50-48 triple overtime loss. The 328 rushing yards surrendered in regulation was the fourth worst by an LSU defense in the previous 14 years as tailback Darren McFadden finished with 206 yards. He had 117 against Tennessee.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2008-12-29-lsu-chavis_N.htm?csp=34

ESPN's take:

[The Tennessee defense held] McFadden and the Razorbacks' vaunted running game to 127 yards -- their second lowest output of the season. The Vols also intercepted three passes, and one of those was returned 34 yards for a touchdown
    The "WildHog" package with McFadden at quarterback, which was so successful last week against South Carolina and carved the Vols to pieces a year ago, didn't cause a dent in the Vols' armor.
    "It was just something where they kept us off balance," McFadden said. "We never got it going from the first quarter. It was very frustrating. It seemed like their game plan was to try and keep us off the field. They were running one or two safeties at us before we snapped the ball and did a great job with it."
    Linebacker Rico McCoy said [of] Chavis:
    "He knew what he wanted to do and said, 'Guys, listen, do what I say, and we'll win,' " McCoy said. "Everybody rallied around that. Chief was the leader. He was the leader."
    But Chavis, in vintage fashion, said all the credit goes to his players. ... "I want you to understand. Our players are the ones who got it done, and whoa, it was fun watching them play today."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3104167

8. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Jock Doucet reported last night that LSU seemed to be much bigger than the yellowjackets.

Also alluded that Tech players were pretty arrogant about their offense.

Hope we can shut em up.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

He won't be here that quick...

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

LMAO :rofl::rofl:

1 person likes this.