Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

:geaux: I hope his "somewhere" is Baton Rouge. I'd much rather have Chavis as DC than Walker. :lsup:

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Talk about.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

We can only hope people.

4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I would be happy with either, personally. Even though Walker coaches in the Slac-10, and they had a down year, he is a strong DC. I am not worried if he leaves in 2-3 years to be a HC somewhere, at that point we can bring in a new stud. Either way, our D will be heading in the right direction againa and my Christmas wishes will be answered.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think a lot of Clemson fans will be somewhat shocked if they don't get Chavis. I just get that feeling from reading their boards.

Their backup plan is Steele, Bama LB coach, who is good friends with Dabo.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I think Steele would be a pretty good pick-up as well.

Kevin Steele was the Bama DC last year, and this year his title is "Associate Head Coach/Head Defensive Coach" (LINK).

Rivals.com still treats him like he is the Bama DC, in their Week 16 power rankings, they ranked Steele as the #8 DC in the nation -- they list him as "Associate Head Coach (Defense)" (LINK)

In a recent preview of the FL/Bama SEC Title game, it said "the defense coordinator at Alabama is Kevin Steele" (LINK)

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

A newspaper in Clemson's neck of the woods wrote:

Dec 25 -- New Clemson coach Dabo Swinney has talked to former Tennessee defensive coordinator John Chavis about the Tigers' vacant defensive coordinator post. Another possibility is Alabama linebacker coach Kevin Steele. Both are South Carolina natives (LINK)

Florida State blog:

Dec 3 -- My Clemson buddy (the same one who guaranteed the Gator Bowl to the Tigers, yesterday, way before any other site had the information), says that Clemson is strongly considering Alabama "DC" Kevin Steele for their DC position. This would be very bad for FSU. Steele is a guy with FSU ties, a guy we can afford to get, an excellent coach, and someone who we do not need Clemson to get. (LINK)

Birmingham News:

Dec 21 -- [Dabo's Clemson] staff is taking on a very Alabama flavor. His former position coach at Alabama, Woody McCorvey, has joined the staff in an administrative role to help Swinney with the day-to-day running of the program. He brought in former Alabama tight ends coach Danny Pearman and former Tide secondary coach Charlie Harbison. (LINK)

Dabo played football at Bama, and then coached there from '96 to '01 before he went to Clemson.

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

***BREAKING NEWS***

Chris Low, ESPN:
    Sources: Chavis to be LSU's defensive coordinator

John Chavis, whose attacking defenses were the backbone of some of Tennessee's best teams under Phillip Fulmer, is trading Rocky Top for the Bayou.

Multiple sources have told ESPN.com that Chavis has agreed in principle to become the new defensive coordinator at LSU and that the deal is expected to be finalized later this week. Sources told ESPN.com that Chavis' deal is for multiple years and will pay him more than $500,000 annually. Chavis earned $340,000 last year at Tennessee.

Chavis, 52, spent the last 14 seasons as Tennessee's defensive coordinator. The Vols, despite their struggles on offense this season, ranked fourth nationally in total defense.

In nine of Chavis' 14 seasons as the Vols' defensive coordinator, Tennessee ranked among the top three in the SEC in total defense. Miles got an up-close view of Chavis' work during the 2007 SEC Championship Game when Tennessee held the eventual national champion Tigers to just one offensive touchdown.

Chavis, a Tennessee graduate, remained extremely loyal to Fulmer and turned down several opportunities to leave Tennessee, including NFL jobs with the Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons. He also was wooed by former South Carolina coach Lou Holtz earlier this decade.

But with new Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin bringing his father, Monte Kiffin, along to coordinate the Vols' defense, Chavis was not retained and he immediately became a hot commodity on the open market. New Clemson coach Dabo Swinney also offered Chavis the Tigers' defensive coordinator position, but LSU came through with a more lucrative offer.

There is a chance Chavis will bring either Dan Brooks or Steve Caldwell with him to LSU. Brooks coached defensive tackles at Tennessee and Caldwell defensive ends.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3797839

1 person likes this.
  9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

YESS!! This is the guy I wanted. Hopefully the report is accurate. Now onto Coach O.

10. Kbraun

Kbraun Founding Member

i hope we retain coach lane so those DL recruits commit like sam montgomery