Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. prplhze2000

prplhze2000 Founding Member

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

not crazy about him. Seems that he has fallen off for several years and unless he has great players, his schemes don't seem to work.

I want someone who also has some pro experience as did Pelini and Saban. Pro game more aggressive.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Tennessee will end up 4th in the nation in total defense. And that's with no help from the offense, who has obviously allowed many more possessions (chances) for the opposing offense to pad their stats.

This is my guy.

He knows the SEC. He can recruit Tennessee and the surrounding areas.

He is an excellent LB coach. See Jerod Mayo.

3. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

When you have a crappy offense like Tennesee does, that means your defense is stuck on the field for a long, long time. Still, the Tennessee defense took those opportunities and made the most of it.

They only had two games where they allowed 30 points (Fla. & Bama had 29). Tennessee is last in the SEC in time of possession and they rank #2 in total defense in the SEC behind Alabama. That says something.

In the SEC, they rank #4 in redzone defense, #3 in INTs, #6 in sacks (tied with LSU), #2 in pass defense, and #4 in rushing defense. And that's with Tennessee's marginal talent. Imagine what he could do with LSU's talent. (all the rankings are pre-this week)

I'm just about on this guy's bandwagon.

4. islstl

Before hitting a lull the past 3-4 years, his defense was ALWAYS top 3 in the SEC.

5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Damn I think I really want this guy in Khaki and Purple on our side lines. Something tells me that if we could get him to LSU we'd be back in the top 3 in nation easily each year.

6. islstl

He's ours right now, if we want him. The Tennessee game just ended.

7. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Chavis would be a solid hire....proven, knows SEC, assume he can recruit and instant credibility with the players from his resume. Also would quiet the restless natives in Tigerland. Has to be a plus in Les' mind.

Think he would require complete control over who his assistants are to take the position though. Can't see a veteran coordinator like him not wanting to have as much control as possible.

If Miles is insistent that current staff stays as intact as possible it could be a problem. Other than that appears to be a good fit.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Kiffin has a legitimate shot to keep him if he wants to. After that he may look around, but the LSU job is the best thing going for now. Hopefully Miles won't play pocket pool for another month and let good candidates slip away.

9. mauitiger

mauitiger Founding Member

ISLSTL.......Do you know what type of game coach he is? Is he a Muschamp/Saban type that gets fired up on the sideline and jumps up and down and yells and screams. Or is he a laid back type?

10. islstl

True, if Chavis wants to stay.

I just think he has probably heard more than his fair share of "get rid of your DC" talk, especially the past 4-5 seasons (before the current one) when the defense struggled.

My guess is Chavis wants out, not necessarily that Kiffin won't take him.

Makes sense?