Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

I am not talking about last year.

I am asking why Toliver was not starting the last 3 games of the season and Byrd benched if Byrd is allegedly such a poison in the lockerroom and on the field as everybody is claiming he was? And I surely don't think Toliver is retarded. I think you people have painted that picture of him, however.

It's a another bad decision by Miles to reward seniors that absolutely do not deserve it. He did it in 06 with Broussard and Vincent and it cost us the Auburn game, with Holliday and Williams sitting on the bench.

Either Byrd isn't the poisonous character that many people claimed he was, or Toliver, after 2 years, still can't run a simple pattern. I fail to believe Toliver is that dumb.

That's my point.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I have no dog in this fight, but c'mon izzy.

you know there is more to it than "running a simple route"

there are guys in the NFL right now that are labeled as running sloppy or poor routes.

making you cuts quickly and sharply creates more separationg than just rounding them off. changing speeds during the route also help out tremendously.

I haven't really paid any attention to Toliver or Byrd's route running, so I'm not saying one does or doesn't do these things. Just saying that crispness of the routes could be something holding Toliver back.
    Who is the better blocker of the two? (I ask because I truly don't know)

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I'm not sure about the better blocker, but I have noticed Byrd lets some easy catches slip through or go off his hands while I have noticed Toliver lay out or go up and bring catches down.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

without a doubt Byrd dropped some that NEEDED to be caught.
    Miles sat him for a bit in the Troy game after a drop.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Tolliver is young, raw and definitely still learning how to play the position. Byrd is there and is a much better receiver at this point in their careers. Pi$$ poor QB play and a bad attitude have hurt Byrd's production this year. Still Tolliver although talented and learning is not ready to be the go to guy. He shows flashes but he has a long way to go. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Do you play the guy that has the ability to be a game breaker but who's attitude has tanked or do you play the young raw, skilled guy that still gets lost and confused at times, but has great potential? Either way you're screwed. I think Miles thought that as the QB's developed Byrd would recover, but neither happened. Remember also the situation, it's not like we were playing great and winning games. It's hard to take a play maker out and insert a young guy in when your QB and offense as a whole are struggling mightily. Had the offense been chugging along I think Miles would have made the switch.

6. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

I've been reading through the debate with you, punk, and izzy and when you talk about Tolliver you refer to what he did last year. Who cares about last year.

It's been obvious this year that Byrd is not the great receiver we all thought he was or could be. Great receivers don't give up on their QB no matter the situation. And Byrd makes braylon "no hands" edwards look like eric martin.

But for some reason Miles left him as the starter for the entire season. Miles' biggest flaw in my opinion is player evaluation. How can you let a receiver who continues to drop passes and gives up on the QB to continue to play? You can't sit here and tell me that Tolliver hasn't a clue how to run a route.

When Tolliver did play, he made things happen. And as far as running routes goes, numerous times this year TT was open but the QB couldn't get him the ball.

But let's say for the sake of argument that he doesn't know the playbook/ route running, etc. Then what in the blue hell is our WR coach doing? TT has been here for two years now and you can't teach him anything?

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I can't begin to tell you how many big plays we missed out on with Toliver wide ass open and Lee could not get the ball to him. He was easily the most miss-thrown to WR on the team. And he's easily the biggest target, so it was baffling as to why that happened.

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I thought this thread was about Chavis.:huh:

9. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Yeah, me too! I saw this thread had grown and thought there might be some news. No such luck. Speaking of airplanes....

:geaux:

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

It bears directly on this year and the coaches confidence in him. Apparently the coaches went with the guy who was more comfortable with the offense and should help a young QB the most. As I have pointed out, but has been ignored by the same posters, now including you, it didn't work out did it?

This entire debate is about Miles favoring seniors over younger players, and this is one example that a few of you choose to seize upon. There are several examples that show this is not the case. Accept it or don't. The same things have been said over and over again, and it has become quite boring.