Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. tigerfan1977

tigerfan1977 Freshman

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

Forget about Croom.... He was a RB coach for the Packers before going to MSU.

2. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Croom??? Seriously????

Why not Phulmer, while we're at it!

Or TT? I hear he'll be available if Auburn doesn't find a way to beat Bama and misses out on a bowl. :hihi:

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is the exact opposite of someone suggesting we hire the Jacksonville Jaguars head coach as our DC and we took off with it and made it a thread of follies.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't think it is that uncommon for a DC to coach a position. It's the coaches duty to get their players in position and they have failed in every aspect. Peveto has been a failure at everything he has coached at LSU although he has been a really good recruiter, he should be let go at the end of the season. Mallory seemed to do an ok job with DB's but is clearly not ready to be a DC in the SEC and should at best return to his old position. No one can say that this defense isn't loaded with talent and many with considerable playing time before this season. There is absolutely no excuse that can be given why so much talent can be molded into such a lack luster defense. There has been a complete breakdown in coaching on the defensive side. Anyone watching the replays when you have time to sit back and get a second closer look can see that the defense is a complete mess. Both of these guys are in deep deep over their heads.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Peveto is the LB coach.

What has been the worst unit on this team? The most embarrassing unit by a long shot?

Mallory was a DC 16 years ago for exactly 1 season at Western Kentucky.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Well that's actually a little hard to answer if you ask me. Is it the D line that was supposed to be the best in the country and two deep with top tier talent across the line? Is it the LB's that are like ghosts that disappear after the opening kickoff. Or is it a semi young DB group that seems dazed and confused on almost every play? Or is it the defensive coaching staff that can't seem to get a defensive play in before the offense snaps the ball? A defensive coaching staff that doesn't know how to disguise a blitz or come up with a game plan. If I had to put them in order I would say worst to first: the coaching staff, the LB's, the DL and then the DB's.JMO

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I KNOW what you guys are going to say to this, but here goes. Coach "O" is one he!! of a defensive coach. Look what he did for USC. Even the OM teams he had were pretty good on defense. He just is NOT head coaching material. And look at his recruiting record. And for some unknown reason, the players seem to love him. He is so aggressive that he did work them too hard in weekly practices. He would scrimmage in pads like it was a real game. On Sat. the players were often tired and their legs were getting weak by the fourth quarter. He left Nutt with some pretty good talent. Had he been allowed to stay, I would venture to say that OM would maybe have won one or two games so far. Certainly, I doubt that OM would have beaten Florida. They never should have lost to Wake Forrest or Vandy. Last second field goal and at least one lost fumble INTO the endzone in each game. Would really feel strange if OM had come into TS tomorrow at 8-2 instead of 6-4. And Bama was holding their breath until the last seconds faded away. I realize that he won't even receive a thought, but I really wouldn't want to see him there even as a position coach/recruiter. I think he could really do the job with the kind of talent LSU has and is able to get. Just my two cents. I KNOW!!! SAVE MY MONEY. YA'LL DON'T WANT IT...:rofl:

8. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I've actually been saying this since the middle of last season, when Pelini was rumored to go to Nebraska and Ed O was leading the Rebs to a winless SEC record. We're not going to get him, though...even if we were to try. He's got a good gig as D-Line coach for the Saints and with the way their D-Line is playing this year, they aren't going to let him go without a fight...and I dare say that the Saints have a little more weight to throw around than LSU.

Good thought...but we need to look elsewhere.

9. tigerbaitabq

tigerbaitabq Founding Member

What are your thoughts on Jim Haslett? I expect he won't get the 6 wins stipulated by the Rams to get the head coaching job.

10. duckstupid

duckstupid Freshman

John Chavis would be a good choice for a DC but there are others DC that would be great to have like Nick Holt USC, Dick Bumpas TCU, Gary Anderson Utah , we need someone to mold the talent into a great defense.