Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Andouille

Andouille Guest

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

Our national championship and how long our season went had a little to do with that.

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

He should not have to explain his, or LSU's process for determining the hiring/firing of his coaches. He has a habit of not throwing his players or coaches under the bus. The answers he gave in his presser were his version of "No comment".

There is no reason to think he will not change the coaching staff. We just have to let him do it in his fashion, and that way nobody gets their nose out of joint. Except for a few fans that want to know everything, and we all suffer from that from time to time.

Just relax and let him talk his coach speak. It's like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher - not intended to mean anything. There appear to be several viable candidates interested and available. Miles will get it done.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It's all good. I just have little patience with people who automatically think they have more knowledge than coaches. That may not have been your intention; it's just all too common. I'd probably be banned from Tigerdroppings if I posted there because I'd have to blast folks.

4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I spent my entire football career (if you want to call it that) playing on the defensive side of the ball... Safety in my younger years when I was leaner and faster, but ended up in the LB mix through HS and A2 ball as I bulked up more.
    With Chavis coming in (if it pans out) and the talent we have... I think you'll see the old hungry safety blitzes come to be more a part of our schemes, and a ton more of the good ol LBs coming in and finishing off the run game behind the line and smearing some QBs all over the field, once our D learns his system. Atleast that's my hope. But regardless we'll be happy with our national Defensive rankings.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Didn't feel blasted at all. It's all good. Now back to the subject of DC's. Is there any feedback from verbal commits or recruits on how this has affected recruiting? These assistant coaches have developed relationships with not only '09 athletes but '10 one as well. On one hand I can see how patience and due dilligence helps recruiting , but on the other hand, all the competing schools have to be using the disarray agains us. I wouldn't necessarily call it negative recruiting either, especially if competing recruiters aren't slamming us. They don't have to do much to plant seeds or even point out the obvious to the recruits. Maybe swift, decisive action would be more beneficial if it doesn't come off as being knee jerk. It's a bit unnerving not hearing any recruiting reports or feedback from recruits. Anyone have any ideas on how the coaching uncertainty is affecting recruiting? especially LB's

6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

This is my biggest fear... but hopefully they'll see the potential for bigger things and it won't sway their opinions.

7. TC

TC Le Big Mac

I remember the 2001 SEC Championship Game. Tennessee had beaten LSU pretty good earlier that year. In Atlanta there was a rematch. UT's defense, coached by Chavis, came in prepared to stop Rohan Davey. And they did with a late hit out of bounds in the first quarter, sending him to the locker room for the rest of the game.

Out came Matt Mauck, whom no one had heard of. He kept running the QB draw all over the place. Chavis's D couldn't adjust. LSU put up 31 and won the game.

I hope Chavis makes better adjustments on the fly at LSU. :helmet:

8. BonTempsTiger

BonTempsTiger Freshman

who honestly is there better and more proven on the market for DC than Chavis (realisticly speaking)?

9. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

It still took weeks after the NC for him to name a coach in fact I think it was after National Signing Day. It should not have taken that long. He procrastinated in the NC hangover and we ended up with tweedle dee and tweedle dumb.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

we can pick apart specific games until we're blue in the face

we're not gonna get Jesus Christ as our DC