Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

Not sure what style, but here is how he measured up this season...

Tenn is ranked #11 in the SEC in 3rd down defense, LSU is #5. They allowed conversions at a rate of 37.1% (69/186 - most attempts in SEC; Arky is worst with 41% for 72-173). #5 in red zone defense, LSU is #11. #3 in scoring defense. #2 in total defense.

2. bayou_bandit74

bayou_bandit74 Founding Member

Id prefer the guy from TCU, but Chavis would be a good fit. Especially since he knows the SEC already.

3. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Somehow Tennessee let Florida score 30 points only gaining 243 yards.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

An exchange from a friend who is a longtime Vols fan.

5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

With the talent that we have now and coming in on the defensive side of the ball, I think LSU will benefit tremendously from Chavis. And depending on who remains or who's brought in staff wise, the talent we have will bring us back to a top 5 national defensive ranking. You can count on that.

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Coach Les Miles spoke with the press Tuesday and, as usual, couched his comments in a simple type of language so that all of us who grew up in Louisiana speaking English as a second language would be able to understand. For those of you who have English as your primary or only language, I have provided translations so that you may truly understand what our coach is actually saying. The coach's comments are from an article in the Morning Advocate http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/35451024.html

-About the co DC situation: "I don't know that I want to go over that piece right now"

Shut up will ya. I can't believe that all you tiger fans out there who loyally support the university by buying tickets, and watching the games on TV, and reading everything in the press think you're entitled to know what's going on! Come on get a life!

"I havent given a lot of thought to that to be honest with you. Even if I was, I wouldn't be honest".

When you hear me use the word honest twice in the same quote with opposite senses, you should know that I'm being anything but.

-About the comlete team meltdown in the second half of the Arkansas game:

"We went through each play and not only that we went through the first two drives as well...We did have maybe a much more in-depth conversation than frankly I'm going to share."
    "Things that bothered us throughout the year bothered us during that time as well."

Just like the co DC thing, our offensive play calling and defensive scheme looked good on paper so there was no need for any of us to get alarmed! I really have no clue why we screwed up so bad. Ar kansas is just better than us. Get over it.

-About what he's going to do to right the ship:

"I'm not going to adress other issues at this point.I'm just going to operate from the premise that there are going to be some adjustments made.First and formost attitude, first and formost to doing the right things. and I think that we will in the short term"

I wish YOU all would do the right thing by putting those purple and gold glasses back on and adjust your own attitudes. Hurry up. do it quickly!

-When asked what he meant by adjustments:

"overall view. Inclusive"

Say what? I have no clue.I don't have any idea what I just said so how the heck can you?

-About Jordan Jefferson:

"I would think it is fair to go into thas last game with him as the starter."
    "The distance Jordan Jefferson has come has been tremendous.we're certainly pleased with the progress to this point."

Just think. Ten days ago he only knew 5 plays. Now thats what I call progress!

-About concerns that there is a rift between him and Gary Crowton:

"I don't imagine there's a rift there at all.I have taken over no piece of the play call."

Do you remember what I just said about honesty.Honestly!

7. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux::crystal::helmet: Exactly what I'm thinking. He'll have a lot more to work with at LSU than what he's had at Rocky Top. :geauxtige:champs::LSU231:

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Not to mention that if Orgeron is brought in, which for some reason I am hoping he's brought in... especially since our DL could really use the coaching talent he has, Chavis will continue to have top of the line talent coming in to mold into damn strong defensive studs.

9. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux::crystal::helmet: I'd love to see Orgeron come in as DL coach as well. Unfortunately, I think the odds are against it unless LSU makes a strong effort to get him soon. He has said that he and his family are happy to be back in La. and that he would talk to LSU if approached. Chavis and Orgeron would put LSU's defence back to elite status nationally, IMO. :geauxtige:champs::LSU231:

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I think they had a pick six early in the game and then fumbled near the goal line. I Remember that Tennessee mistakes/turnovers got them down early in the game.