Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

why does he eerily resemble jimbo in the face in the 2nd pic?

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

i guess their mentor has an *interesting* teaching method? i mean, napoleon was an odd cat too.

3. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

well that post doesn t make much sense since i thought you said Will.

gun...to...head

5. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080926/SPORTS/309269971

This is kind of concerning. I can't stand defenses that allow a lot of 3rd down conversions.

Excerpt from article

At least one of his trademarks, he knows, isn't quite as flattering.

"I guess I've been nicknamed and tagged 'The Third-Down Guru,'" Chavis said, "but on the wrong end of it."

The Vols (1-2, 0-1 Southeastern Conference) haven't done him any favors this season, either, allowing opponents to convert 45.5 percent of their third downs entering a crucial SEC game Saturday at No. 15 Auburn (3-1, 1-1).

But it's also nothing new for the Vols, who currently rank last in the SEC and 98th nationally in third-down defense. Arkansas opponents' 39.5-percent conversion rate is a distant second-worst in the conference.

Tennessee ended last season eighth in the SEC and 72nd in the country in third-down stops, allowing opponents to move the chains on 40.4 percent of their attempts. It was an improvement from 2006, when UT was 85th nationally and 10th in the conference with a 41.2-percent mark.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

A Tennessee fan remarked to me that the running joke on Chavis is that offenses would rather be 3 and 8 than 3 and 2. :D

Muschamp doesn't jump. The earth bows when he's excited. BOOM! MOTHER****ER!

7. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

[​IMG]

I saw online that he interviewed for the Falcon's LB job, but turned it down once the offer was made. I know the Falcons were probably happy to get anyone, but that says something if an NFL team wants to take a shot on a college coach. This is encouraging.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

If this comes to pass, I think we'll all be happy with the outcome. I'd like to see this change take place early enough though to see what he could do in a few short weeks before our bowl game against a tough GT.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

This thread brings me some happiness. It would be nice to see what a strong DC could do in the bowl game this year.

10. Andouille

Andouille Guest

He should take the George Costanza approach on 3rd downs. Whatever his natural instinct tells him, he should just do the opposite.

Anyone have any statistics on what style he usually takes on 3rd downs? I'd be willing to bet he's a drop back into zone coverage, bend but don't break type of guy. Not my style.