Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

It didnt make sense to have co dc's either. The same guy is making the decision, so...

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Huh?

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Youre questioning why Les would do that? He made a weird hire the first time. Why would it be odd for him to do it again? We'll find out if is is too loyal in just a few months.

4. clair

clair Rockets

I don't think the problem is that both guys are bad coaches.

I think the problem is they can not work together.

Don't shoot the messanger. I am just telling you what I hear.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

He doesn't have to fire them. Just demote them to position coaches like they were under Pelini. They still have jobs and we get a (hopefully) proven DC, unless said DC wants to bring in his own staff. But as far as I know, position coaches on both sides of the ball are hired/fired by the head coach.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I didn't know whether you were promoting such a decision.

Agreed Miles made the horrible decision. He could follow that up with an equally disastrous decision of letting Mallory run the show. I do doubt that he would. My guess is he either keeps what we have now and gives them another chance, or he cleans house.

If a new DC comes in, hopefully he will let that coach decide who he wants to keep and not force Mallory and Peveto on him.

7. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I'm taking Big Wee and Crip's position that our defensive problems aren't neccessarily scheme as much as players playing out of position. They theorize that it's a result of our DC's working double-duty as position coaches. I can see where that is a real possibility. I think if Miles keeps the current setup, he should AT LEAST bring in some new position coaches. And if it's just Mallory at DC when the smoke clears, make him the DC and JUST the DC. Hire new position coaches.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It would be odd, in my opinion, because he has typically made very good hires.

9. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

At the start of all this Co-DC stuff the talk was that Mallory was calling the plays and Peveto was just named Co-DC for a pay raise. Did something change in this regard?

I thought Mallory was going to do the schemes / play calling, Mallory would get the players fired up during the game and continue to coach his position, and didn't we bring in a Special Teams coach to take Mallory's place?

I don't think the coaches are pulling double duty as much as just plain in over their heads. Especially if the original plan of Peveto's move being a way to reward him pay wise, I could how disention could arise if he now is trying to implement his own schemes. Ofcourse Miles is not going to bail on them middle year, but I have to imagine he's privately explaining to them that he gave them a chance and it's just not working out.

My bigger question is: How are we going to work out a pay scale for a DC if we keep both Mallory and Peveto. LSU already pays the most of any NCAA football to it's Cordinators (aside from Texas recent move of paying Muschamp 900k/yr), so now we're suppose to keep both of them AND pay top dollar AGAIN (which is what it's going to take. No proven DC is going to come in making LESS than what Mallory and Peveto are paid.) for a new DC?

I realize LSU makes plenty of money, I simply just don't see the school wanting to give up more pay for another Cordinator.

So my question is, how do we afford a new DC? Bump down Mallory and Peveto to position coaches again, and cut their pay? I doubt Miles would do that. The whole point of the Co-DC for Peveto was to pay him more for a "good job". But I doubt Miles is going to give the cash out of his own pay check. It leads to believe that we might have to end up letting one / both go.

10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I said this on another thread, if Sylvester Croom were let go, what about him as DC? I don't remember if his coaching background is off. or def., but I like him.