Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

That's what the LSU defense is known for and what makes us so revered and feared. I really hope this style and aggressiveness is brought back and re-enforced... but atleast the fundamentals of tackling and following through with hits will come back for the immediate time frame. Should help us out.

2. TC

TC Le Big Mac

I just don't want anyone from the Tennessee Vols. I've tried for years to stay awake during one of their games. It's impossible! Unless they're playing LSU.

I'm sure Chavis is decent. But he's boring. And how much gas can he have left in the tank? He's been a DC forever yet hasn't figured out how to stop Florida.

On a positive note, he did design a defense that stuffed the Wildcat formation in 2007. Held McFadden and Jones to moderate yardage. That's more than we can say for Pelini, Mallory, Peveto.:tigerhead

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

On another SEC message board I check, seems Tennessee fans overwhelming think he'd be a good pick-up for us (and I think they mean that genuinely, and not mean-spirited). Is this a case where people here just aren't happy with the style of defense, not so much the results?

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

we beat him with perrilloux having only one hand. always this 10 yd cushion we saw the last 2 years. frustrating to watch.

bad hire imo as well. better than what we had but so is a bucket of dirt.

5. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

Looks more like "The Cheif" could be our man. If so, I think its a solid hire and his experience will help make for a smooth transition for the defense...

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

That's what I'm worried about. I'm hoping that LSU's superior talent will give him more to work with. If he is the guy, I'm pulling for him to at least teach better technique. A dog turd could replace who we have now.

7. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

We did score only one TD against them in that game BTW....

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah that 14 points we put up on Tennessee by an LSU team averaging over 40.

Boy, this guy obviously not the right choice for this program.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Don't know if we'll hire him but appears he's looking for a job :

Lane Kiffin has already told John Chavis that he will not be retained as the Vols defensive coordinator, but it could be a few more days, weeks or months before he names Chavis' successor.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/01/lane-kiffin-remains-mum-father-montes-future/

Here is what Johnny Majors had to say about Chavis earlier during the season:

So given all that, and Fulmer’s current struggles, isn’t there anything Majors would like to say about the current Vols coach.

Said the former coach: “Frankly, I think (defensive coordinator) John Chavis has saved his job for 10 years.”

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oct/01/wiedmer-majors-says-hes-above-comparing-self-fulme/

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

think if you read between the lines it's obvious what Monte is going to do, but is just waiting for the Bucs season to end first.