Unexpected experiences and Hole in the Wall

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pontius Pilate, Apr 23, 2010.

1. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

If you like Little Saigon, try Cafe Dang, a little bit further down Florida. Awesomeness

2. Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. I will check it out

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

No prob. It is more authentic plus cheaper. Just a heads up, if you spend less than $10, you gotta pay cash.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Look at them rascals!

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Steve were serving out of the Livery Stable back then? :grin:
    [​IMG]

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

That's a great Photo. I have several similar to that in the cafe. It was taken about where the traffic roundabout is today. I think the Livery Stable is where Jr. food mart is now. I bet the Abitians all wish that the Livery building was still there. The building just past the livery is still there...It used to be Rauch's grocery and is now Artigue's grocery store. The cafe would be over and behind the photographer's left shoulder.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

As far as hole in the walls go the best I have been to was a steakhouse in the literal middle of nowhere.

I used to go to a tractor plant in Jackson, Minnesota for work. Jackson is about 90 miles east of Sioux Falls, SD and about 20 miles north of the Iowa state line. I asked some of the guys at the plant if there was worth eating near Jackson, and they directed me to this little place about 15 miles outside of Jackson called the Bergin bar and grill. It was on a dirt road a few miles off of MN 71 in the middle of a corn field. For most of the way there I figured the guys at the plant were messing with me.

It was a tiny little joint, and it was packed with what seemed to be every farmer around. The steaks were thick, well marbled, and cooked just right. The price of a 24oz ribeye, baked potato, salad and two buckshot beers was under 25 bucks with tip. I know this because the place was cash only, and we had to turn in receipts for non corporate card meals over 25 bucks.

Link to the place so you can see how in the middle of nowhere it is.

Another good place I uncovered was in Sioux City, IA. It was called Miles Inn. They had a loose meat sandwhich called the Charlie Boy that was to die for. A Charlie Boy and a schooner of beer was 5 bucks. I ate there so much the bar keep eventually learned my name and the locals stoped giving me funny looks when I walked in.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Your compass is broke! Minnesota is east of South Dakota. Maybe that's a good way to find out of the way places.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

HA!!! My geographic knowledge was supposed to be the thing that compensated for my spelling. I'm boned.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

mine are a little "restaurant" off of some lady's house in fiji (taveuni island)---best curry ive ever had.

and fryar tuck's brewery in portland. no food and only open on saturdays, but the best beer ive ever had--and you can get a growler filled.