UNCONFIRMED RUMOR...Travis Ford agrees in principle

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by doubledeuce, Apr 2, 2008.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I appreciate the dialogue and let's drop the race thing. I only raised it as a potential issue, and I know that folks will deny it vehemently. The fact that of our potential candidates (Drew, Bennett, Ford, Grant, Pierre and Jones--assuming Drew and Bennett are even really in the "race"), several are black and qualified and available and may not be picked will just be part of your historical view of this issue. LSU has a chance to hire a good black candidate now... so down the road this excuse of "best coaches when available" will be less of an argument.

But, let me address your coaching debate. I am not "overhyping" the manlove for Grant. Why do I like Grant better? Not only does have have real Big Dance experience to speak of, but (1) he's also got better recruiting ties to the South (FL/VA/SE)--he's actually done a good job recruiting his own guys too, (2) he's older, got more experience, including watching what it takes to win a NC, (3) he's shown an ability with a hard-nosed defense and differing offensive styles to coach guards and bigs, and (4) character and love by his community makes him a great character hire... (see Ford rumors about indiscretions... remind you of similar things said about Brady), and lastly (5) his being black does make a difference for me--it changes the face of LSU in a good way. Is Ford a bad coach? No. He's gotten his team to the second round of the NIT and last night lost to OSU for the NIT title. But, he's primarily coached in the NE, he has had some character rumors, AND, I really wonder whether he would unify our staff like I believe a Grant would. I see that if we hire Ford, you'll see a little bit more morale loss and dimantling of some of the team structure here--probably inevitable to some degree, but more so with Ford.

For example, could a Anthony Grant convince AR or Bobo Morgan to stay at LSU or would Travis Ford do a better job? I'd bet on Grant. Now, the underlying truth of the matter may be that Grant is just not available or interested, seems like if LSU hasn't made its choice, they should definitely talk to him seriously--I'm not privy to those details.

Believe me, I'm not saying it's a debatable choice--but my choice is Grant for good reasons. Honestly, if we were hiring the BEST coach, I'd then say, hire Tony Bennett. He's shown the ability to take a mediocre WSU team, in a power hoops conference, with less talent than the USCs and UCLAs of the world, and get to the Sweet 16 and finish in the top 3 in the Pac 10 two years running. But, that's another thread... To some of my points earlier in the "Name a Replacement" thread, LSU's probably not looking to hire the "best" coach, but the "best coach for LSU".

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A FAN.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

these are nice soundbites from DDeuce... but that's where he and you're wrong.

Wins did not equal $$$. Brady won SEC championships and went to the final four... it apparently did not equal butts in the seats. And that's what led to his downfall. So, don't just make the assumption that LSU fans think rationally about their support. I would assumed this as well, but apparently it doesn't work that way.

Folks including Skip, the media, and folks on this board, have acknowledged to some degree that a "mediocre coach" that "makes LSU basketball exciting" is what our school needs (i.e., more important than winning is being a basketball salesman, a community "unifier").

In some ways this may favor Ford... bring in a fast paced, run and gun, three point shooting team and fans will follow... regardless of whether they challenge for another final four? Tony Bennett should be hired b/c he plays a defensive oriented game... that's how Brady got us to the final four.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

clearly not true. brady had won the most sec of any other coach over a 5 yr period within the west yet no one was there to witness it. even had a nice long home streak along the way.

i used to believe 'just win baby' but i was wrong. LSU is not a basketball school and needs a dale brown, bruce pearl promoter type to stir up the masses and create interest. winning is no longer enough.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i think a white southerner (im assuming ford is from kentucky, but i could be wrong) is handicapped in recruiting the South---all other things being equal.

i think some kids will automatically shut them out (consciously or not).

the point about grant winning with capel's players is a valid point. at least ford started from scratch up there.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Good points, I stand corrected.

6. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Yeah 2006 was really disappointing.

Actual Attendances

Tennessee 1/14 - 7753 - 1-0
    Alabama 1/21 - 10231 - 3-0
    Georgia 1/25 - 11780 - 4-0
    Auburn 2/1 - 9784 - 6-0
    Arkansas 2/8 -7668 - 7-1
    Miss State 2/15 - 7221 - 8-2
    Kentucky 2/25 - 9672 - 11-2

Ole Miss 3/4 - 11180 - 13-2

Now, LSU never received respect that year from the media, never being ranked higher than 18, even after running away with the SEC, but the team was 6-0 at the Auburn game, and attendance went down. :huh::huh:

LSU basketball fans are stupid. That is the only explanation

7. doubledeuce

doubledeuce Founding Member

1997–1998LSU9-18 2-14 6th (West)
    1998–1999LSU12-15 4-12 6th (West)
    1999–2000LSU28-6 12-4 1st (West)NCAA Sweet 16
    2000–2001LSU13-16 2-14 6th (West)
    2001–2002LSU19-15 6-10 T-4th (West)NIT 2nd Round
    2002–2003LSU21-11 8-8T-2nd (West)NCAA 1st Round
    2003–2004LSU18-11 8-8 T-2nd (West)NIT 1st Round
    2004–2005LSU20-10 12-4 T-1st (West)NCAA 1st Round
    2005–2006LSU27-9 14-2 1st (West)NCAA Final Four
    2006–2007LSU 17-15 5-11 6th (West)
    2007–2008LSU 8-13 1-6 6th (West)

I should have been more clear...consistent winning=butts in seats=$$$. Everyone knows John Brady has the ability to coach (see f4 run) but I dont care what league you are in... .500 or less in league play 8 of 11 years is PATHETIC. He gave the impression he only really cared about winning when his job was in jeopardy. His only two back to back winning conference records were 06-07 which, just when you thought we were on the verge of breaking out of mediocrity with big publicity from our final 4 run, we turn in back to back losing seasons even though we returned the reigning SEC player of the year. SEC basketball coaches should not be turning in back to back losing seasons 10-11 years into their tenure. I guarantee you, if we were to go to back to back sweet 16s and carry that momentum into good recruiting, the PMAC would be full with a new coach. But winning out of the blue every few years followed by bizarre defections of talent, lack of a PG EVER, nonpersonability, and staying at or below .500 in over 70% of your tenure here in conference is NOT winning. I cannot believe that people on here are saying that Brady was a winner but we just didnt support him. Also, when the same problems come up year after year with no admission of wrongdoing or willingness to change for the better by the coach, that is definitely gonna breed malcontentment among fans. This idea that we need to hire a mediocre coach who plays an exciting brand of basketball is dumb also. Let me tell ya, pressing and jacking threes and not being good at it is just as bad as the streetball offense we ran for a long time under brady. Losing 101-88 isnt any better than losing 50-45. That being said, the crowds for basketball have been subpar. No argument here, but they lost faith in the basketball program a long time ago and its tough to change peoples minds with one good/great season sandwiched between multiple years of mediocrity and downright poor efforts. It also wouldnt hurt to build a new arena, the PMAC is waaaay behind Arkansas, texas, tennessee, florida, hell even aubarn and USCe have or are building new arenas.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I partially disagree with your statement.
    Winning can make people overlook a lot of personality flaws but in Brady's case he was inconsistant in winning.
    When he wasn't winning his personality and his flaws stood out like a sore thumb.
    Because of this most people didn't support him?
    If he would've followed Bob Knight instead of Dale Brown he just might still be here, talking about personality but his record would've also reflected that.
    John Brady following Dale Brown didn't do him any favors, from probation to personality!

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

well his wife is black. :eek:

10. philter

philter Founding Member

I believe that is some type of school official standing next to him. I was reading the Kentucky boards and someone mentioned that photo was taken during an honorary visit or something.