Turtle Sauce Piquant

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Sep 24, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Came out pretty good. Hadn't had it in a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

sh*t looks slammin.

over rice, maybe?

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yes and yes.

looks awesome.

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

Definitely over rice.

I tried something I'd never tried before. I love sauce piquant but don't like more than a hint of the tomato taste. After browning my meat forever and then sauteed my onions, rot-tel, etc. I put 1 Tbs of Worcestershire sauce and 1 Tbs of roux.

5. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

I saw this yesterday and it looked to good, I had to cook some last night, minus the turtle. I did some with chicken, the first time I've ever cooked it but it turned out pretty decent. I think mine had a little to much vegtables and a little less of chicken but it hit the spot still. Wish I could put a picture up, I took one and put it on facebook though.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

okay so someone needs to get me a sauce piquante recipe. Preferably Tiga because I don't like a strong tomato taste either.

7. LSUTiga

When I'm at home I'll post it for you. Essentially like making a "brown gravy" and browning the piss out of the meat is the most important thing.

After that I took meat out, sauteed onions, bell pepper that I cut up. When they were pretty much sauteed I added a can of hot Diced Ro Tel and cooked it down.

Next I added some water, scratched the pot (I love a wooden spoon- more surface area) then a Tbs of Worcestershire sauce and 1 Tbs of roux.

Let the roux break up then tossed meat back in pot and cooked until tender.

A chicken sauce piquant is right up there with turtle in my book. If you can get a home-grown it's hard to beat. Not sure why but there's a distinctively better taste.

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Was browsing the recipe section last night looking for a rabbit recipe idea. I ran across this one from Snorton from about 7 years ago. It looked good enough to try that I saved it to my recipe file.

Link

Here is another from the same forum and poster.

Link

Anyone know what happened to Snorton? He posted some great recipes. Too bad this forum doesn't get any posts, but it is a great resource.

9. LSUTiga

Here mob.

Ingredients

2-3 pounds turtle meat
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup green onion tops, chopped
    1/2 cup parsley, chopped
    3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1 can (14 oz) diced stewed tomatoes
    1 can (10 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
    1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
    2 tbs roux (optional)

Season the meat with cajun seasoning mix. I use T-Boys Seasoning but any seasoning you like will do. red would use Tony's here; SabanFan, Slap Ya Mama.

Add a small amount of grease or margarine to a heavy walled cast iron or aluminum pot. Heat the pot. When hot, add the turtle meat and brown over high heat until deep brown and until some of the browning sticks to the bottom of the pot. Stir constantly.

Sauté Vegetables:
    After the meat is browned, remove from the pot.
    Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté until wilted in the brownings.

Smother:
    Add the meat back to the mixture.
    Add the Worcestershire sauce, stewed tomatoes, Rotel, and tomato sauce. If needed, add water to cover the meat.

Optional Roux:
    "Sauce piquante" means to cook in a tomato base. I do not like a strong, distinctive "tomato saucy" taste, so sometimes I like to add a couple of tablespoons of roux to enrich the tomato base flavor. To make your own roux, add 2 tbs flour and 2 tbs oil to a heavy pan. Place on medium heat, and stir constantly until a chocolate brown roux is obtained. This takes awhile. Its hard to make a small batch of roux, so I recommend you use store bought roux.

Cook with the pot covered under low heat so the mixture simmers (lightly boils). Keep adding water so the meat stays barely covered. You need to simmer long enough so the distinctive "tomato saucy" taste is cooked down to a smooth tomato base flavor, and the meat is tender.
    Taste and add more cajun seasoning (or salt and pepper) to taste.

Add the garnish:
    When almost done, add the chopped green onion tops and parsley.

Serving:
    Serve turtle meat and sauce piquante over cooked white rice.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Alright so I went with John Folse's recipe in the good ole encyclopedia. Mine was a little light on turtle because the turtle I bought was two pounds bone in when the recipe called for two pounds of meat (4 actually but I cut it in half). I pretty much followed his recipe all the way except I didn't use jalapenos. Instead, I used spicy rotel. If it's too hot my kids won't eat it.

So anyway, I can't seem to upload a pic. If you guys have some advice aside from stick it on a webpage then link to it, I'm all ears.