Trump's deal with Carrier

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mobius481, Nov 30, 2016.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Keeps 1,000 jobs in Indiana although there were 2,100 on the chopping block. It's unclear where the other 1,100 will go. What does everyone think? Good move by Trump or more of the same corporate welfare everyone complains about?

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Hard to say at this point as there's not enough information. However it's great optics for him with his base. It is something the current resident of the WH wouldn't have bothered with.
    I like the use of the bully pulpit as well. I've read some liberals who said his messing in this is unpresidential. I disagree IF it's truly working and not just noise.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  3. mobius481

It has already been announced that there were inducements for them to stay. What kind of precedent does this set. Should we be offering private companies subsidies to keep plants in the US? Of course it's a function of what was offered but I gotta think other companies are going to have their hand out now.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yes. We should incentivize business to stay in the US. How is that a question?

Jobs have longer runtime growth on an economy than cheap Mexico/china products.

5. mobius481

So you're good with farm subsidies and clean energy subsidies etc? Is there any line you draw on subsidies?

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You are talking about two different things.

If you want to have this discussion, you are going have to separate what a subsidy is and how you can incentive business to stay in the US without subsidies.

There are also other important reasons you dont want all farmers farming. Much of the public thinks they just get a check.

7. mobius481

A subsidy is something of value given to a specific company or industry to keep that company or industry profitable and to keep jobs. What are you saying here? What do you think Trump did to incentivize them to stay that doesn't amount to a subsidy?

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Im not going to teach you the difference in what incentives are (like tax cuts) and how subsidies are different. I know this is a difficult concept for liberals.

Further, I have not seen the details about this detail to even know what "deal" was made.

9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

So a subsidy is when the government actually gives a corporation money and a tax credit is when said corporation does not have to give the government money. Yes, there is a real gulf between the two.

mobius481 likes this.
  10. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I agree; let's let all the facts about the deal come out before we decide one way or another.