Trump's 2nd Supreme Ct Pick

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jul 3, 2018.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You just said at some point though. So what did you mean by that?

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Heart beat
    DNA

All still allowable, under current law, to off your child.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I am really opposed to abortion, but I think it is an individual decision, and not the government’s role to say yay or nay. So in strictly political terms I suppose I’m pro-choice. But like most “issues” that is an oversimplification.

I know I do not know, and thank God I never will, but I can’t imagine having a non medical emergency, late term abortion, and waking up at 2:00 am some morning, days, weeks, or years later.

But most importantly, making such an important decision as a Supreme Court Justice based on this, or any other single issue, is a tragedy for the country.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

It was just the beginning. Soon we will have IQ testing of the unborn and terminated.

You could, theoretically, get to a point where the rich have genetically superior kids. Imagine that for a second.

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Read much science fiction? A recurring theme.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

HalloweenRun likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't think a group of cells is human yet and I don't know how long after conception it is before a fetus can be considered human but at some point months before birth that fetus becomes a human being. Of course the fetus cannot live outside its mother's womb but then a newborn baby can't survive either without the care of adults to feed it and clothe it and protect it from harm.

Winston1 likes this.
  8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

What you should care about is that Kennedy created a new “right” out of whole cloth. There is no right to privacy in the constitution. Not only that but some have made it as the only right that has no limit. Every other right in the Constitution is and can be limited except that one.
    BTW that has zero to do with my position on abortion, only the tool that was used.

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

LaSalle people’s rights are constrained by laws all the time. EVERY right enumerated by the constitution has legislative constraints including those that deal with a person’s body. As @Bengal B says at some point a fetus is human. Premature babies survive after as little as 28 weeks gestation and 36 week’s is common. Do you believe at some point the fetus’s place should be considered?

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That's not good enough. It's a lazy way of saying "I don't want to deal with it". IMO, if we really want to follow this through, then if a single woman chooses to have a baby without the father's consent, then she shouldn't be allowed to collect child support. It's not right to claim eminent domain AND still make all the rules.

Not to mention, it wasn't just "her body" when sex occurred. It was the co-mingling of 2 bodies....and a deposit was made. At that point IMO, a man has as much right, if not responsibility to participate in the outcome. If I was a dude, and WANTED the baby but the female got an abortion? I might go postal.

shane0911, HalloweenRun and Bengal B like this.