Trump's 2nd Supreme Ct Pick

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Read this one
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/opinion/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-trump.html

A Liberal’s Case for Brett Kavanaugh
    July 9, 2018
    By Akhil Reed Amar

Mr. Amar is a professor at Yale Law School.

[​IMG]
    Judge Brett Kavanaugh, shown here in 2004, is President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court.Scott J. Ferrell/Congressional Quarterly, via Getty Images
    The nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be the next Supreme Court justice is President Trump’s finest hour, his classiest move. Last week the president promised to select “someone with impeccable credentials, great intellect, unbiased judgment, and deep reverence for the laws and Constitution of the United States.” In picking Judge Kavanaugh, he has done just that.

In 2016, I strongly supported Hillary Clinton for president as well as President Barack Obama’s nominee for the Supreme Court, Judge Merrick Garland. But today, with the exception of the current justices and Judge Garland, it is hard to name anyone with judicial credentials as strong as those of Judge Kavanaugh. He sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (the most influential circuit court) and commands wide and deep respect among scholars, lawyers and jurists.

Judge Kavanaugh, who is 53, has already helped decide hundreds of cases concerning a broad range of difficult issues. Good appellate judges faithfully follow the Supreme Court; great ones influence and help steer it. Several of Judge Kavanaugh’s most important ideas and arguments — such as his powerful defense of presidential authority to oversee federal bureaucrats and his skepticism about newfangled attacks on the property rights of criminal defendants — have found their way into Supreme Court opinions.

Except for Judge Garland, no one has sent more of his law clerks to clerk for the justices of the Supreme Court than Judge Kavanaugh has.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/opinion/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-trump.html

watson1880 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

To get back in power Dems need to register a lot more illegal aliens and buy a fleet of lowriders to drive them to the polls.

HalloweenRun and Winston1 like this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Bengal B likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not that this is relevant in any way but that song reminded me of this one.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Not really, there are way more of us than you. Y’all just vote

6. LaSalleAve

But........Trump

7. LaSalleAve

Nope, just pointing that all the fake news parrots were silent over the last 2 decades.

8. LaSalleAve

It doesn’t bother you that
    A. This dude worked for the guy that is retiring for a very long time. It may be illegal it may not be illegal I’m not sure how this whole thing works but, what if the only way Kennedy decided to resign was if Kavanaugh was selected. Not saying that happened, not saying that’s illegal I don’t know if it is or not, it just seems shady.
    B. Didn’t he say that presidents should be impeached if they are found lying to their staffers, (coincidentally during the Clinton presidency) and then flip flopped when he was appointed by Bush? Seems partisan to me.

Other than those 2 minor things, it could have been a lot worse.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Make up your mind, a couple days ago you were howling and screaming because it was going to be and I told you that they would leave it along and tackle much bigger fish. Good grief you are flopping around like a carp on the bank.

10. LaSalleAve

I never said they would overturn it. I’ve been saying it was a wedge issue for years. Show me where I was howling and screaming about Roe V Wade being overturned? I may have hoped he nominated a hardcore right wing dude just so Murkowski and Collins would stall out.

And one more thing. Abortion is seriously low on my give a shit chart. I’m not a woman, I can’t have an abortion, the fuck do I care?