Trump's 2nd Supreme Ct Pick

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

And Kavanaugh is dangerous
    tumblr_inline_mnebhxoBhr1qz4rgp.gif

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    watson1880 likes this.
  2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Aurally, not really. Here is NYT assessment:
    [​IMG]

3. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

From a twitter account...

"Wow, I have not seen liberals this mad since yesterday."

4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Opportunity Costs: “A benefit, profit, or value of something that must be given up to acquire or achieve something else. Since every resource (land, money, time, etc.) can be put to alternative uses, every action, choice, or decision has an associated opportunity cost.”

Opportunity costs, along with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, pretty much determine life. The Congress has no concept or appreciation of opportunity costs. All the energy, time, and effort to squabble about this Supreme Court nominee (who ultimately will be confirmed) is energy not spent elsewhere, for example, fixing infrastructure.

I don’t have any big philosophical issues in my life, so who is on the court doesn’t matter, broadly, but these yahoos in Washington will piss away months where their efforts could be spent better. Much better.

To Senators, it is a lot more fun to make speeches while on camera than to get something, anything, accomplished. This nomination “fight” will be a textbook example.

Crap.

el005639, Frogleg and KyleK like this.
  5. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I think Kavanaugh was a solid choice. Barrett didn't have enough time as a judge, but I see her possibly being the next pick if he gets another. Think some of the criticism by conservatives is off base. He is probably closer to Roberts than Thomas.

The Dems are going to have to realize that they need to try to get their agenda thru legislation rather than judicial activism. I do not see Roe v Wade being overturned anytime soon

Winston1 likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That’s because it’s never getting overturned. Neither is the 2nd amendment. Wedge issues, both sides lose their prize horse if either of those 2 things happen.

The democrats just need to get people to the polls. If they do that GOP is fucked. If not, GOP will win every time.

7. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

As long as democrats keep putting nutjobs in high profile positions voters will stay away from them.

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Yeah get these people to the polls that make us a better country, geeze!

87eT9M9hiKyvl77f1UtdvTMX3IBNElgUor3x8si5eiU.jpg

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Is that a defense? Don’t you expect better of those who purport to lead us?

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Here you go LaSalle. Read this to learn about him. He seems to be an outstanding selection.....and you know I don’t rubber stamp any Trump action.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/opinion/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-trump.html

A Liberal’s Case for Brett Kavanaugh
    July 9, 2018
    By Akhil Reed Amar

Mr. Amar is a professor at Yale Law School.

[​IMG]
    Judge Brett Kavanaugh, shown here in 2004, is President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court.Scott J. Ferrell/Congressional Quarterly, via Getty Images
    The nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be the next Supreme Court justice is President Trump’s finest hour, his classiest move. Last week the president promised to select “someone with impeccable credentials, great intellect, unbiased judgment, and deep reverence for the laws and Constitution of the United States.” In picking Judge Kavanaugh, he has done just that.

In 2016, I strongly supported Hillary Clinton for president as well as President Barack Obama’s nominee for the Supreme Court, Judge Merrick Garland. But today, with the exception of the current justices and Judge Garland, it is hard to name anyone with judicial credentials as strong as those of Judge Kavanaugh. He sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (the most influential circuit court) and commands wide and deep respect among scholars, lawyers and jurists.

Judge Kavanaugh, who is 53, has already helped decide hundreds of cases concerning a broad range of difficult issues. Good appellate judges faithfully follow the Supreme Court; great ones influence and help steer it. Several of Judge Kavanaugh’s most important ideas and arguments — such as his powerful defense of presidential authority to oversee federal bureaucrats and his skepticism about newfangled attacks on the property rights of criminal defendants — have found their way into Supreme Court opinions.

Except for Judge Garland, no one has sent more of his law clerks to clerk for the justices of the Supreme Court than Judge Kavanaugh has. And his clerks have clerked for justices across the ideological spectrum.