Trump White House Bars News Organizations From Press Briefing

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by GiantDuckFan, Feb 24, 2017.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

"Censorship, as it relates to a free press, is the use of authority outside the press to unduly influence what is reported",.. I would argue, denying access is "influencing what is reported", maybe not technically censorship but close enough for me,.. and the word, "censor", is not in the 1st Amendment.

I miss football

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    kluke and LSUTiga like this.
  2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

So I assume you guys would be OK with the White House announcing tomorrow that reporters from Fox, Breitbart, Drudge and The Blaze are no longer allowed in the press briefing room. Right?

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Was anyone banned from the White House press briefings?

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

who is "banned" now?

5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

This did not happen - -the question is would you care if it did.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Looking at this issue in legaldictionary.com, and it doesn't seem a 1st amendment challenge of this nature has ever come up. For instance....
    This sounds like it could be argued that if the "burden on their ability to gather and report" is not incidental, the press can not be hindered by the government. But...
    So here it can be argued the the 1st amendment does not grant the press special privileges not allowed the general public. And its a long-standing matter of record that public access to the president is limited, so press access can be limited as well.

Seems like we're into uncharted territory with this president in many ways.

Oh, and you miss football? Here you go:

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

But it's okay if they report lies and spread hate to further the room temp IQ crowd that is causing all of this crap? That's okay right, to further divide the country by just flat out lying?

Remind me where was all this rioting and blocking of roads and protesting when that muslim MR'r was in office? Oh that's right you can't because the shit didn't happen because we don't act like Fucking apes. Fuck CNN and the lot. When they get hillary's dick out of their mouth they can come back.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I really wouldn't give a shit. All laws, orders, etc are eventually known. The general public usually doesn't give a shit until the Media tells them to. Do you know how many fucked up bills are introduced in a normal year? DO you know how often the media reports it?

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Just as I assume you would be angry if Putin got a front row seat. Come on, you are better than this. When and if something happens that is a violation of their free speech, then we can talk. Until then it's nothing but huffing.

Here's what I find laughable. Intimidation and squelching of free speech happens ALL THE TIME, and involving public figures. If a public figure has some unkind or unflattering comment made about them on twitter or some other social media (which is protected), they go bat shit, threaten to sue, the offender immediately deletes the offending tweet, and is made to apologize.

Just Friday, Bleacher Report took a comedically lame shot at Dirk Nowitzki for a 3-point airball. Cuban acted like a little bitch.
    "He suggested Bleacher Report delete its account while posting email communication he'd had with Turner president David Levy.

Cuban sent out screenshots of three emails between he and Levy to his 6.4 million followers. In the first, Cuban asks Levy for an immediate apology and inquires who on the Bleacher Report staff found such a post "remotely acceptable."

Levy's response is very gracious. He begins by mentioning meeting Cuban in New Orleans last weekend and a vow to follow up with his social media team. He then adds that sometimes millennial-aimed content requires bold tag lines around bloopers.

Cuban isn't having it and closes the third email with: "This is an issue where if it's not down immediately, I'll communicate with the Millenials (sic) in the way I know how to."

Shortly after Cuban tweeted and deleted those emails, Bleacher Report deleted the original Dirk tweet. Mission accomplished."

WTF.....he made extortion threats toward a media outlet, it's owner, and threatens to ruin Levy's reputation so they delete the stupid, inane, harmless tweet. Let's see.....is Cuban a lib or a conservative? Lol. People act like they give a shit, but they don't! It's whatever suits them and 99% probably don't care about the First Amendment, any more than they care about the 27th.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

And then there is Shaq taking that clown on the GS Warriors to task.