Trump blames both sides

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bayou Tiger, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

We sided with Stalin as a matter of expedience in order to win the war and as soon as it was over we became bitter enemies. Since neither you nor I is faced with having to choose the klan or antifa/blm for any purpose of gain nor defense of ourselves, families or communities I choose to condemn both groups of thugs.

el005639 and Winston1 like this.
  2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

@Winston1 why are you so adamantly defending men who tried to rip our country apart for the right to own another human being? You are twisting yourself in knots to justify, sugarcoat and dress up the fact that they were attempting to divide the country for the right to own slaves. I understand fully that Lincoln's plan for reconciliation was a forgiving one and, as I've said, in my estimation it was the right call. If you are going to put the country back together then you have to welcome the prodigal back into the fold. That being said, here we are 150+ years later and because of Lincoln's goodness and mercy Southerners now are under the mistaken impression that those men were patriots or heroes. They were not. They were the beneficiaries of Lincoln's grace and nothing more. I understand that by the letter of the law of that day they were not considered traitors, but by the spirit of the law, by everything we know to be good and right, those men were traitors because they sought the end of the United States of America to suit their own ignorances.

3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Christ was tortured and killed by Romans who are modern day Italians should all statues and vestiges of Roman history be destroyed so Christians are not offended?

Should all vestiges of Washington, Jefferson, Adams and Franklin be destroyed?

The Vikings raped pillaged and murdered throughout England and most of Europe should we destroy all statues, monuments and vestiges of Nordic history?

And on and on and on

Your shallowness is breathtaking

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

If I were black I would resent those statues, and I would resent slavery. Hard for me to think otherwise so I see why someone would want them to come down. Others see those statues as their ancestors who fought to keep their way of life, and they didn't see it as evil. They saw it as a way of life. It was as normal to them as the sun coming up...it was preached in the churches. That's the deal with the racial divide.... it will never heal because the penance or the price will never be enough, for either because of ideology or culture.

I would be in favor of erecting statues to further our understanding of the civil war and it's continued impact on our country. I also think that they need to consider just where this goes. Another statue should not come down until Washington comes off the dollar bill.

5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Such silliness.

6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Aint it funny how these this guys that robustly denounce hatred of fellow human beings have blind stark raving hatred for fellow human being Donald Trump.

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

How so?

8. Rex

Rex Founding Member

How many times do you have to be told?

The matter of owning slaves is not the key aspect of the matter. Black people are not as stupid as you pretend them to be.

The Confederate statutes are offensive because they were erected to proclaim that Lee's, Stonewall Jackson's, Forrest's, Davis's, etc. cause to fight AGAINST this country and to propagate slavery as a worthy institution was a noble one. They were erected SPECIFICALLY to offend... as part of Jim Crow and anti-civil rights protestations.

Washington and Jefferson are memorialized because of their contributions TO this country. Their contributions ultimately made liberty for all possible, even though they were not perfect.

9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

So the alternative then is to erect statues that speak to the cruelty of slavery?

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Why can't they be placed in a museum? Why do they need to be destroyed? Shit there is all kinds of Hitler stuff in the smithsonian.