Tropical Depression Barry

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by COTiger, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Governor tells people it's time to hunker down. How do you hunker? Can you hunker up? If past hurricanes are any indication we will all be tired of hearing the words hunker down pretty damn quick.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

It means get you ass to the ground. Pronto.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

We are. Too many people think what happened to New Orleans in Katrina can happen anywhere. We are going to get lots and lots of rain, but typically in hurricanes it happens in bands, so the pumps get a chance to catch up. And they've pumped all of the retention ponds down and added additional pumps around town. I think we are as ready as possible.

kcal, LSUTiga and GiantDuckFan like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The ground will be wet. I was planning on going out to catch some live music but now I don't even know if the place will be open.

What is the desired position for hunkering. Do I crouch in fear in a closet or would curling up in bed in a fetal position a better option?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  5. COTiger

It's been a while since I've hunkered down. I think the last time was years ago when we were playing golf late in the afternoon after work. All of sudden a thunderstorm came moving across the mountains at a very fast pace. Before I knew it, it was upon us. All of a sudden a lightning bolt struck a pine tree about 20 yards away. I probably set a record for hitting the ground and getting into the fetal position.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Damn man good luck. Yall riding it out i guess.

7. COTiger

Back to Barry.
    I just got an email from my brother. He's in Terrytown, across the river from downtown New Orleans. As I recall he lives on pretty high ground. At least for New Orleans. He said they have never been flooded. He also says he has a half gallon bottle of Crown that he got as a retirement gift that is pretty much untouched. Says it won't be after the storm.

8. mctiger

9. mctiger

4:00 rainfall potential map says 15-20 inches for Morgan City. Up until now, they've been saying 20+.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That sounds like a quickie hunker. I think what the radio and TV guys are talking about is a several day marathon hunker.