Tropical Depression Barry

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by COTiger, Jul 10, 2019.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

my grandparents lived here since the early '30s, never had an earthquake until 1993,.. a 6.3,.. shook the hell out of us, knocked a lot of bricks off buildings, ruined our courthouse,.. had a small 4.something in 2000.... still wanna see a big t-storm, a hurricane not so much

have you ever been in a moderate earthquake?.. I've experienced several and one major one,.. I don't think they and hurricanes are comparable

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I rode out a couple of earthquakes when I was stationed in Japan outside of Tokyo. I rode out a couple of hurricanes growing up in SW La. They both take lives and cause considerable damage. The difference is one lasts seconds and other hours.

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Only one. In Virginia of all places. I was eating in a small cafe when everything shook for a few seconds. I was sitting facing the window and it looked like the cars parked in front were waving. It was a small quake and the epicenter was about 300 miles away but it was pretty unsettling for a few minutes.

GiantDuckFan and COTiger like this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The Mississippi river has been very high for a long time. A northerly storm surge could facilitate
    @COTiger Jut fyi. You can edit the thread title since you started it.

5. COTiger

I looked. I can edit the post. I didn't see any way to edit the title. Keep in mind you're talking to someone who relies on his granddaughter for IT support. IconLOL.gif

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

in my experience there are three types of earthquakes,... one is a lift and drop, kinda like waves going under a boat,.. one lasts just a second, but violent, the ground shifts, like someone pulled a rug out from under you,.. one shakes and continues to grow, those are the most frightening, at a point you start praying for it to stop,..

... I lived at the epicenter of one near Los Angeles that lasted a full minute, seemed more like an hour,.. it tipped over our aquarium, flung everything out of our cupboards,.. shook everything off the shelves in stores,.. cracked and ruined most of the swimming pools in Newhall,.. knocked down freeway overpasses down in the valley,.. destroyed a hospital there killing dozens of people,.. it was scary as fuck

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yep, my neighbor is a Hurricane Hunter pilot stationed out of Keesler. He offered to take me up in one once, but he knows I don't like to fly and there's no way in hell I was getting on a plane flying into the eye of a Cat 2 storm, so I'm not sure it was a genuine offer.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. COTiger

I'm surprised he made the offer because of the risks. I took rides in trainer jets, T-37 & T-38s. Those were joy rides across the Texas Panhandle. Those flights were almost 50 years ago and my fuzzy memory tells me that I had to sign some sort of waiver form before takeoff.

9. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

They take people up at times. I went on a flight with them this past May along with several other teachers. Of course we did not fly into a storm at all it was a bluebird day. Left Keelser and just flew just off the coast over to New Orleans then over to mobile and back to Keesler. Was my 2nd time to fly with them but neither into a storm I’m sure that changes things greatly

COTiger likes this.
  10. COTiger

Agree. I suspect those C-130s are about as old as I am. IconLOL.gif
    ETA: I did a Google search. The C-130 entered service in 1956.

Bengal B likes this.