Top 20 Country Voices of all-time

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by DownOnTheBayou, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

that would be me,

I know you're a country guy, put up your top 20.

I just want to see how it compares to mine. I take it we have no.1 in common. :thumb:

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I was talking to ok awesome who was badmouthing the picks.
    Since you asked, though:

1. Possum
    2. Jim Reeves
    3. Patsy Cline
    4. Hank
    5. Hank Thompson
    6. Alan Jackson
    7. Lefty Frizzell
    8. Merle Haggard
    9. Ray Price
    10. Charley Pride
    11. Marty Robbins
    12. Moe Bandy
    14. Ernest Tubb
    15. Hank Locklin
    16. Carl Smith
    17. Webb Pierce
    18. John Conlee
    19. George Strait
    20. Don Williams

1 person likes this.
  3. DownOnTheBayou

can't argure with this. :thumb:

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

John Anderson. "We'll be swinging ... "

5. DownOnTheBayou

There's a little girl
    in our neighborhood
    Her name is Charlotte Johnson
    and she's really lookin good....

1 person likes this.
  6. TigerBill661

TigerBill661 Life is Good

7. SabanFan

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Love the topic. I'll throw my hat in the ring, but I'm not very musically trained and also am not as old as many on the board. I'll rank them by the ones I like the best, since that's the only frame of reference I have. Feed back is welcome:

1. Johnny Cash - Great bass voice, not really sure what else to add. (Favorite songs: "I Walk the Line", cover of "Hurt", "I've Been Everywhere")
    2. Reba McEntire - My favorite female vocalist of all time. Has great range and power. (Favorite songs: "Whoever's in New England", "The Heart Won't Lie" w/ Vince Gill, "Does He Love You" w/ Linda Davis)
    3. Keith Whitley - Love his dark, yet soothing voice. It's really too bad that he didn't have a longer career. Who knows how many great songs and performances we missed. (Favorite songs: "I'm No Stranger to the Rain", "Don't Close Your Eyes", "Some Old Side Road", "I'm Over You")
    4. Josh Turner - What a powerful bass voice coming out of someone who doesn't look like he should be able to sing like that. One of my favorite new artists, hope he picks some good material, because he could have some great songs with his voice. (Favorite songs: "Long Black Train", "Would You Go With Me")
    5. George Strait - Not a very strong range, but his voice is undeniably country. His voice is very smooth and songs great from his early stuff all the way up through his most recent material. (Favorite songs: "Fool Hearted Memory", "Amarillo by Morning", "If I Know Me")
    6. George Jones - Great country voice, just not as big of a fan as most are. (Favorite songs: "He Stopped Loving Her Today", "Whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes")
    7. Earl Thomas Conley - My personal favorite artist of all time. More because of his songs than his voice, but he has a pretty good range as well. He's one of the few artists when singing along with, his lows are a little too deep for me, and his highs are also a little too high for me. I think that in itself speaks to his range. Would love to hear other's opinion of him as an artist, because I think he gets lost in the "Urban Cowboy" crowd. (Favorite songs: "Once in a Blue Moon", "What I'd Say", "Fire and Smoke", "I Can't Win for Losing You")
    8. Carrie Underwood - Say what you want about pop-country, but you can't deny that she can sing. Always new she had great range and power, but was shocked to see her pull a song like "Before He Cheats". Before that song, thought she'd be cornered into the sweet voice. (Favorite song: "Before He Cheats")
    9. Travis Tritt - Gets lumped together in the early 90's male acts, but I love the grit in his voice. (Favorite songs: "Anymore", "Help Me Hold On", "Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares)")
    10. Patsy Cline - Too young to have heard Patsy while she was still alive, but her voice is always pleasant. Not sure if she has the range of the other females I put above her, but I never hate listening to her voice. (Favorite songs: "Crazy", "I Fall to Pieces")
    11. Conway Twitty - Kinda always thought he was trying too hard to fit into the Elvis mold, but I love his voice as well. (Favorite songs: "That's My Job", "It's Only Make Believe", "Crazy in Love")
    12. Willie Nelson - Not a big range, but definitely one of the most distinct voices in country music. No one sings like Willie. (Favorite songs: "City of New Orleans", "Always on My Mind", "Blue Skies")
    13. Merle Haggard - His voice definitely suit his style of music very well. Everything about his voice personified blue collar. Only recently have I really started to appreciate his music. (Favorite songs: "Are the Good Times Really Over", "Okie from Muskogee", "I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink")
    14. Kenny Rogers - Another one of those on the country-pop line, but his voice definitely has character. With songs like "The Gambler" and "Coward of the County", I think his grizzled voice definitely brought something to those songs no one else could've. (Favorite songs: "The Gambler", "Lady", "Islands in the Stream" w/ Dolly)
    15. Vern Gosdin - I might have him too low on the list because I'm only familiar with a small selection of his music, but love his voice. (Favorite songs: "Chiseled in Stone", "Do You Believe Me Now", "Set'em Up Joe")
    16. Vince Gill - Most would probably say there's not much country about him, but he definitely had a voice. Has one of the most beautiful and high voices I've heard in any male vocalist. (Favorite songs: "I Still Believe in You", "Whenever You Come Around", "The Heart Won't Lie" w/ Reba, "Pocket Full of Gold")
    17. Hank Williams Sr. - The godfather of country music, I definitely respect where he stands in the history of the genre. However, I plead my ignorance, because I'm just not that inthralled with his voice. Somebody, I beg of you, set me straight and tell me what I'm missing. (Favorite songs: "Your Cheatin' Heart", "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry")
    18. Randy Travis - Great bass voice, very distinct, and was one of the few traditionalist artists in the 80's who had serious airplay. (Favorite songs: "I Told You So", "Forever and Ever, Amen", "Hard Rock Bottom of Your Heart")
    19. Brad Paisley - Probably my other favorite of the newer artists. Voice has a very nice dark tone, and has enough twang to definitely be country. Definitely think his material is the most original of all of what's being currently produced on the radio. (Favorite songs: "Whiskey Lullaby" w/ Allison Krauss, "I'm Still a Guy", "Letter to Me", "He Didn't Have to Be")
    20. Charley Pride - History figure in the music industry, and great voice to boot. Smooth deep vocals make his music very enjoyable. (Favorite songs: "Kiss an Angel Good Morning", "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone", "I Don't Think She's in Love Anymore")

1 person likes this.
  9. SabanFan

I take issue only with Carrie Underwood as, in my mind, she is not a country singer. At least her backup musicians and song arrangements aren't.

10. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

If you only take issue with Carrie Underwood, then I consider myself to have a job well done, then :)

I was debating on whether to include her, Vince, and Kenny Rogers for the same reason, but erred on the side of inclusion.