Top 100 recruit distribution 2020

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's why it's a joke that some of the people who want to go to an 8 team playoff are for including the top non P5 team. I say no way, not even if they go to 16.

Brian likes this.
  2. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I don't know, I feel like at the end of the year last year had LSU got into an expanded playoff we would of upset someone. For sure we probably got rolled by Clemson or Bama in the second round. But maybe we beat one of them as well, will never know.

Brian likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes but I am for an 8 team playoff. Just not including G5 teams like some morons seem to want. Hell with the non P5 teams. Give them their own playoffs just like the FCS and other lower divisions.

4. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

So the takeaway is that only a small group of 'rich' schools are really in contention for the best recruits and these teams succeed / make up the CFP yearly. To me, this disparity is only going to increase when college athletes start getting compensated. I am not sure where this will lead but believe college football will be dramatically different in 10 years. Maybe it evolves into something like the rumored 'European Super League' in soccer. Haves and Have Nots.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

P5 consists of 65 teams at present. Twice the number of NFL teams. All of the P5 conferences pass out enormous checks to each member every year. Except for Notre Dame who generates their own megabucks. Some spend their money wisely and some don't. Even a Mississippi State or a Minnesota can raise themselves up to compete on a national level if they have great people running their operations. Some teams like USC and Florida State who were recently among the elite have fallen a step or two but I expect them to be back. Later if not Sooner.

The playing field is level for everybody to figure out the best way to achieve their goals. LSU was down throughout the 90s but we came back.

6. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Yea the other issue holding back the lower teams that they don’t mention is the coaching carousel. Anyone who succeeds at a lower tier school to a degree high enough to compete for a NCG is hired by a higher tiered school that can afford more or even the NFL. When this ends, and schools are able to keep their good coaches, then schools will transcend these tiers. Clemson did it. But it’s very rare for a guy like Dabo not to get vultured by a school like TAMU.

7. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Not sure if you read the OSU "Pistols" article. Because FSU and USC were definitely listed among the top tier 'Have's'. And the point of it was that college football has evolved into a situation where a relatively small number of teams have a realistic chance of being elite. This is supported by the quality of the recruits they are getting. Of course, the most overwhelming point of the article is the list of who has won the championships. Opinions don't matter since there has not been a surprise winner in the timeframe of the article.

Is it possible? Sure it is and it will probably eventually happen. Maybe Miss St or Minnesota can hire someone great like Alleva someday to raise themselves up. (Joking to make a point.)

And finally, yes LSU was down in the 90's. My opinion on that is we were lucky to rise at the right time. We were on the forefront of having great facilities just when college football became an even hotter property to the cable networks. Because there is a lot of evidence that says that it is very hard to break into the top tier.

Time will tell.

Geaux Tigers.

tzanghi and Bengal B like this.