Took my boy on his first squirrel hunt this evenin

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Oct 7, 2014.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

He's not ready to shoot yet but took my 4 year old for a little walk behind the house. Gave him a head knockin stick so he could "finish them off" when they hit the ground. Only got 4 but really never left the yard and had prob 4 or 5 more get away with me trying to make sure his ears were plugged and all that but he had a blast and I think he's ready to go a little bit longer hunt next time.
    [​IMG]

Tiger Exile, gyver, LSUTiga and 2 others like this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Been slow on this end. Only hunted twice and haven't killed a limit combined. Got 4 one day and 3 the next. Just not seeing any.

3. N.C.Tiger

N.C.Tiger We push snow in Style

That will be a memory he will never forget.......my grandson is 7 and target shoots at gun range, we shoot bows every week , but health has me to where I can't take him hunting, but daughter is dating a man that really loves the woods. I'm 57 yr old PawPaw and still remember my first squirrel hunt.....enjoy it they grow up to fast, believe me..

KyleK and LSUTiga like this.
  4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

i remember my first and shooting a 30./30 with my paw paw.

5. LSUTiga

Not out of a trunk by any chance?

I'm going in the morning. Should kill a pile. Will try to post pic but now that I have a G2 I take pictures with it and not my camera. Not sure how to post pics from my phone.

6. jvalhenson

I upload mine to photobucket and copy and paste the img tag can do that from pretty much anything that gets online. Bout to head out myself but I'll be lookin to gig a woods goat instead. The way they were eat up with the wools I'm gonna give em a couple more weeks to get cleared up

LSUTiga likes this.
  7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

...and I'm doing yard work :(

8. LSUTiga

I may as well have. Only kilt two big school buses. That's what we call the fox squirrels. Shot at one more very far but didn't see many. They're just not moving much in the morning where I'm hunting. I know they're there. I see signs and not just cuttings for feed but there are several places in which the tips of pine branches are cut.

9. jvalhenson

Don't have many red squirrels where I'm at pretty much all greys. They are ridiculously thick though. Sittin in my ladder yesterday morning prob had 15-20 in easy killing distance all morning. Several got within a couple feet of me on the trees next to me and could see the big wools on them still. No deer at all but watched about 20 turkeys destroying the acorns all morning. Got hot about 1030 and I headed in. Planned in fishing this morning so had all that set up but when I got up it was blowing 20+. Should have switched plans and went bow hunting again but really wasn't up early enough and with nothing ready to go would have been well after daylight before I got to the tree and only had till about 10 today and had to get home for some family stuff. Oh well try it again in a few days

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Brings me back to when I was a kid. My dad gave me a .410 that had belonged to him when he was a kid. I must have been 7 or 8. I loved to hunt as a kid and my dad was always too busy chasing tail in the pool hall to mess with me, or working. He NEVER took me hunting.

So one day I started messing around with this little bolt action .410 and of course I took it apart, much farther than I was supposed to at that age and of course I lost a screw or a spring or something, damn thing would fire whenever you locked the bolt down. Lucky I was smart enough at that age to realize it was jacked up.

Well I figured I'd mow a few lawns or mooch off grandpa till I had enough money to get it fixed, I never get to go hunting anyway. Until what the actual fuck do you know 2 days later pops rolls in and says "Get your .410 we are going hunting" FML!

Didn't get to go hunting, Got the crap beat out of me, lost the damn .410 I should have just kept my mouth shut