Too fat for a buffet?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Nutriaitch, Jan 4, 2008.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't think they should've charged extra. That's the risk they run of having an "all-you-can-eat" buffet. Heck, that's probably why the Pancho's off campus at LSU closed. I'm sure many a college student would go there for one massive meal a day, and presto, there go the profits. Just "kinda" kidding about that.

On a different note, I'm not surprised at all that an Asian owner thought to tell a fat person that. Up here in Plano, one out of every three houses belonging to an Asian (mainly Chinese, Japanese, and Indian.) Apparently, Plano is the most popular destination in the nation right now for Asian immigrants (we have world headquarters of many tech companies nearby.) They are really great neighbors for the most part, and I love teaching Asian children, as many of them are dedicated students. However, I must say that many of the first generation Asian parents that I've met are completely honest, almost to the point of bluntness, hence the part about "you too fat."

1 person likes this.
  2. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

So do they charge less for the anorexic or people who come in and just eat a normal meal? I am sure it didn't take an actuary to come up with the pricing scheme.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Hypocrisy at its finest.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

At 6' 3", 277# ain't exactly "fat". He's a big guy, I'll give him that much, but I know a few people shorter and heavier that ain't fat.

5. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Sorry man...

A 6' 3" 277 pound guy that works out or is pretty active might not be fat.

A 6' 3" 277 pound guy disabled guy, that destroys a buffet three times a week to the point that the restaurant bans him, is fat.

1 person likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It seems like a good lawyer could get a settlement against that restaurant for discrimination. If the sign says nothing about heavy people getting extra charges, then they are being deceptive advertisers. If the price is posted as all-you-can eat and then they try to double your price on the way out, it is classic bait-and-switch tactics, too.

Podners BBQ has a sign on the serve-yourself line that says "excessive portions are subject to additional charges." They have smartly covered their ass.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i wonder if they would give me a discount? lol

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Depends if the have pecan brittle. You know, that stuff you like. :grin:

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Exactly. The restaurant in question had expensive teaser items on the buffet like crab legs and shrimp. They expect people to come in and eat a ton of rice and stir-fired vegetables and eat a small shrimp cocktail or a crab leg or two. There was a chinese place on Bennington that did this a few years ago. Most of the buffet was lousy and couldn't compare to The Great Wall. But they had boiled shrimp and crab legs on the menu and many folks just came to pig out on the crustaceans and ignored the cheap chinese food. They didn't stay in business too long.

Pancho's was great for poor students. In the 70's it was All-you-can-eat for $1.49. I could eat a lot, but of course, it was all cheap Mexican food. Pancho's made money, mostly by charging you another $1.49 for an iced tea! They closed because the neighborhood went south and students quit coming.

10. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

That's interesting khounba, I never thought about it. What if they had one price for asians, another for blacks, another for hispanics, whites, and so on ?