To Boil or not to boil

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUDieHard, Apr 12, 2011.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I suppose. I guess I've been cooking it so long my way that I would have to learn something else. In my home kitchen (meaning when I'm using a flat bottomed pot), whenever I cook rice, I rinse it in the pot I'm cooking it in, dump that water, then add water and salt to the same height over the rice that the rice is deep. For instance, if I have 1 inch of rice in the pot, the water goes 1 inch over the top of the rice. I measure with my finger. I bring it to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer and cover. 20 min and it's done. I do this in my 2 1/2 qt pot all the way up to my 5 gal flat bottom cast iron pot. Works every time. If I am at the stove cooking other things, I typically stir the rice til most of the water is absorbed, then I cover it. I think that habit is a holdover from my jambalaya cooking.

Lisa's aunt cooks it like pasta. She just gets a big pot of salted water boiling and adds however much rice. She lets it boil for 20 min and dumps it into a colander. Works well too.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

this. i can make rice other ways, but sticking it in the micro and if i am busy when it is done, it quits cooking and just sits there steaming. and that i just throw the whole plastic thingy in the fridge, less cleanup. no rice cooker to clean then something else to store the rice. once the rice is eaten, i just throw the thing in the dishwasher.

for me its all about less clutter and less cleanup.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm with Kylek the Vulcan about avoiding single-use gadgets. And I agree that almost any schmuck can cook rice in a lidded pot he already has. If Mr. Rice takes 20 minutes, it surely doesn't save me any time, either.

But I am a convenience fan. If I'm in a hurry I use the boil-in-a-bag rice. Quick and no cleanup at all.

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You are exactly right...and of all people, I should have known better. I don't seem to know Bacon from Ribs. :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

:thumb:

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Trying this today with one modification. I only have a gas grill. We'll see.

7. mobius481

So they flavor on them was good but they weren't as tender as when I boiled them in the past. Not sure what to do about that. Any suggestions?

8. red55

They use a pressure cooker at TJ Ribs, I hear. But it's hard to imagine ribs not being tender after 5 hours of cooking, especially 2 in the foil where they essentially boil in their own juices. I like a moist rib that you can pull the meat of the bones with your teeth without gnawing the damn thing.

But "falling off the bone" is overcooked.

9. mobius481

They weren't tough. Just not falling off the bone. I like em that way. It seemed like they got dried out a bit.

10. red55

3 hours on the grill is a bit long for me. I sear them well at high temperature for a few minutes, then I let them smoke at low temp for no more than a hour before wrapping them in foil and letting them cook in their own juices for an hour or two. Then back on the grill for a short time just to caramelize the rub/sauce.

You can definitely oversmoke barbeque and dry it out.