Tiger Stadium playing surface

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TSdude, Dec 4, 2008.

1. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Here's a list of football playing colleges in the state of Louisiana: LSU, Tulane, Tech, ULM, ULL, McNeese, Nicholls, Northwestern St., SLU, Southern, Grambling, La. College.

Now name the only three schools not to have some synthetic grass playing surface in its stadium? LSU, Southern, Grambling

I think it's high time LSU bite the proverbial bullet and install some type of synthetic grass surface. Obviously, whatever they have been doing in Tiger Stadium for the last 5-7 years isn't working. The surface sucks and if you saw the Ole Miss game it was horrible. Painted dirt. Even Miles commented that "something needs to be done" about it.

You would think that a school that has a major in turf management would be able to have a great playing surface in Tiger Stadium. Besides the obvious need for a better tract, with the speed we have and continue to recruit I think it would be to LSU's best interest to install a synthetic grass surface.
    :tigereye:

1 person likes this.
  2. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

No never. Football was meant to be played on grass, not reformulated tires.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Louisiana College's new field has synthetic turf.

my bad misunderstood....

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Agreed. Now we just need to figure out how to make it happen.

5. MoneyTiger

MoneyTiger Founding Member

Field goal kickers had some fugly little tee tiny facemasks too, not to mention how much I hated that "butt pad" up my ass.

6. LSUSPY

LSUSPY Freshman

1 person likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I didn't see that big of a problem this year. Football is a game played on grass, if you're not in a dome. Far fewer injuries. The small schools put in turf because they can't afford maintenance. LSu can.

8. MoneyTiger

MoneyTiger Founding Member

After what I saw this year you could've fooled me. ;)

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I agree with this, on tv it looks really good... but when I was at that game I was shocked to see the real condition of the field. Guess tv does hide serious flaws.

10. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Back in San Jose, some friends and I got together and played some football on a high school's newly renovated Nike field (big $$)... it was a lot like playing on grass without it coming up and getting muddy.

I like that LSU has real grass, but the field always looks so torn up, especially towards the end of the season... more so than other school's. They should at least invest in some kind of treatment system to prolong the durability of the grass. Not sure if that is even realistic. :huh: