Thoughts on the new look offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 2, 2017.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I like the misdirection plays (something we desperately needed the entire time Fournette was here, Jesus) and we had a couple of successful down the field play action pass plays.

Overall I think the offensive line is still lacking and is decent, but probably not much better than that.

Etling has a pretty low ceiling although he looks somewhat improved from last season.

The red zone offense is pretty terrible and was not very creative. That's bothersome. A couple of plays that were creative were so poorly executed, they were dead in the water almost as soon as the ball was snapped.

Overall, the passing game MUST play a bigger part in this offense and we need to be more balanced. That's up to Canada. We'll have to see if that shifts in the coming games before the heart of SEC play. Let's pray it does.

Let's be honest, this team has a great chance to head into the Bama game undefeated. So everything we work towards regarding this offense especially is for that game. Right now, this offense probably scores less than 10 points.

I will say in Matt Canada's defense, we probably don't have the skill position players to be the truly dynamic offense he would like to see.

It's early, but that's my observation.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

We were talking about the play calling in the game thread, and the consensus is, Canada barely opened the playbook tonight. The penalties and the red zone miscues were the big issues tonight, and those are fixable problems.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Based on what Canada has done in the past, expect the presnap motion to play heavily into the passing game.

LSU_4_LIFE and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

1st play of the game, we put 8 guys in motion. Center, QB and TB stood still and every other player switched sides. I thought, well, Cam's gone.

kcal, el005639, TheRealist and 5 others like this.
  5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

On the bright side on the future recruiting trail, if LSU keeps moving the ball, mixing it up with different players, we'll start being very attractive to highly touted skill players, especially QB's.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Yr damn straight. Fence up. It's going to be hard to hold on to Aranda, and maybe harder to keep Canada.

TigerTap likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Neither did Pittsburgh

LSUpride123 likes this.
  8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I think Canada is here for a little while. Aranda hopefully will be as well, in the end open up the check book and do what ya gotta do to keep'em.

65Grad and TigerTap like this.
  9. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Methodical rather than clumsy.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Much credit to O for keeping Aranda and landing Canada.

TigerTap, Bengal B and GregLSU like this.