This was a very successful season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

I thought 8-4 before the season. Considering the schedule and the injuries I thought it was a good season. With what we have coming back and with what we have coming in, 9-3 ain't gonna cut it next year, though. IMO, the offense needs to be totally overhauled, but O isn't gonna do that. A win in the Fiesta Bowl has convinced him he's on the right track and no changes will take place...We'll go into Tuscaloosa next year with the same offense....and it'll be the same result

2. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

This was a better season than many (including myself) thought we would have. I haven't always liked SE's calls on offense and Coach O has made a few blunders. But it is always easy to find mistakes while sipping IPA's and watching on TV. Plus I (and many others here) expect perfection from our highly paid coaches.

However, the one thing that must get better is our offensive line. IMO, this is the cause of our offensive struggles. How can we not run the ball against UCF until late who have given up 225+yards rushing per game? Of course, this was just one of many examples of the line's problems this year. I will judge Coach O next year mainly on how the offensive line plays. We have not been SEC caliber there for two years. It must get better!

Brian, TheRealist and LSUTiga like this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Yep but having more than one true TE and a couple of big time backs will do wonders. All coming in next year.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Lord I hope you’re right. Our OL should be more experienced and deeper too. Sick of scraping by because our offense can’t produce.

5. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

O actually pointed this out when he got the gig. Miles recruited "lighter guys" and that wont cut it in the big boy league we play in. O is having to re load our O-line and it looks like he is doing it. Frankly I dont thing people are giving the guy enough credit for what he pulled off this year. With the schedule we had, the injuries, ect this was an excellent year and sets us up for a better one next year. I believe we are trending the right direction.

Brian, Winston1, didit and 2 others like this.
  6. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

Close but I think the issue was that Miles recruited guards for all of the line positions to be able to run the ball better. The problem was that they weren't athletic enough to block defensive ends and linebackers in the SEC. They were big enough but weren't fast enough. We had gaping holes at the tackle position and still have depth problems there because of that philosophy.

Brian and Bengal B like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When La'el Collins signed I thought he would end up at left tackle. Good thing for Fudd that he is at a place where they don't care how many games they lose as long as they are good in basketball.

Brian likes this.