This is going to get ugly

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by GiantDuckFan, Oct 2, 2018.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Canzano: This is about to get dirty...
    Oregon Ducks dragged into federal corruption trial

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/o...nzano_this_is_about_to_get_d.html#incart_2box

..... the opening minutes of the federal college basketball corruption trial included the airing of dirty laundry. Oregon -- Nike's most closely aligned university -- was dragged into the fray by the defense attorney for Adidas executive, Jim Gatto.

It's always been a sneaker war, and it is again here.

The defense isn't arguing that Gatto is innocent of NCAA violations. They're even admitting that he agreed to send $100,000 to the family of a top recruit in exchange for him attending Louisville. But the defense strategy here is clearly one bent on demonstrating that: A) college hoops is dirty all over; and B) an NCAA violation isn't the same as a federal crime.

....The defense team is arguing that Gatto offered Brian Bowen a $100,000 payment because the Louisville coaches were worried they were getting outbid by Oregon.

"Oregon, a Nike school, offered [Bowen] an astronomical amount of money if he'd go to Oregon," Gatto's defense attorney, Casey Donnelly reportedly said on Tuesday in court.

:( I hate dirty

watson1880 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Did Bowen sign with Oregon or Louisville?

3. GiantDuckFan

I don't know man,.. I posted this, just to let you guys know, it's only speculation now,.. we'll see.

Brian Bowen II (born October 2, 1998) He originally committed to play college basketball for the Louisville Cardinals but was suspended by the team after a national college basketball corruption scandal which alleged that his family accepted payments in exchange for him choosing to attend Louisville. He later tried to play for the South Carolina Gamecocks, but due to an NCAA ruling, he removed himself from college and the 2018 NBA Draft altogether. He plays for an NBL teams now.

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

this brought pitino down at louisville and ad tom jurich as well

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

Basically at this point it's only allegations,.. Adida's trying to say,.. yeah, we're guilty, but everybody is,.. then they point at us, because we're the face of Nike. This is serious, and it's giving me a stomach ache, but I don't want to discuss it much until they show some evidence.

They're loving this in Seattle and Corn Valley.

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

pitino sued adidas but the suit was thrown out

watson1880 likes this.
  7. GiantDuckFan

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Every big time program in the country would be on pribation if all the facts were known. I'm not excluding LSU. I have known football players from poor families who drove expensive cars, wore nice clothes and always had plenty of spending money. During last season a friend of mine saw Derrius Guice at a convenience store. He was driving a brand new top of the line Mustang. Did his mother who worked 2 and 3 jobs to support her family buy it for him?

Brandon Bass was a 5 star hoops recruit. His family wasn't well off but from the day he set foot on campus hee was driving a Mercedes SUV.

It's going to happen because college athletics is a multi-billion dollar business.
    Players are already defacto professionals. They should just revoke those rules and do it openly the way the NFL and NBA does.

9. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Reminds me of the great Tark the Shark quote, "I love transfers, they already have their cars."

10. GiantDuckFan

At college basketball corruption trial, Brian Bowen Sr. testifies he does not 'recall' financial offer from Oregon Ducks
    https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/in...e_basketball_corrupti.html#incart_river_index

Bowen Sr. said Oklahoma State offered $150,000. Creighton offered $100,000. Arizona would pay $50,000. But he said he didn't remember a financial offer from Oregon.... As for any offer with the University of Oregon Bowen Sr. did not "recall" discussing anything with Dawkins