This is fascism

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

2. Rex

Rex Founding Member

???

Visa and Mastercard are private companies. They didn't have to do anything they didn't want to do.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  3. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

Winston has a moment of clarity…

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Do you really believe that? The power of the state to coerce companies to bend to its will it the greatest evil of the modern government. Unfortunately it’s a feature that both sides of the political aisle are too willing to employ.

XXL TideFan likes this.
  5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Such as restricting companies from polluting? Or enforcing occupational safety standards? Or enforcing corporate taxes? Or zoning laws? Or limiting certain government contracts to only qualified companies? etc.? etc.?

That's one of the very purposes of government. Thank god for government.

Here, I'll repeat what Wikipedia says about fascism, because it's pretty spot-on. What YOU describe is far from that.

Fascism is a far- right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Do you understand the difference between passing a law and using threats to get what the government wants? This was a threat by Elizabeth Warren and others. Would you feel the same if a Republican government coerced a company to do what they want?

7. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Describe the "threat". I might actually agree with you if it's sufficiently serious.

8. Rex

Rex Founding Member

So, OK, I've looked for a "threat" by Senator Warren to credit card companies. It doesn't exist.

What I found is a rather tame letter urging them to adopt gun sales codes. No threat contained therein. If you think so, point out the wording that threatens some sort of retribution:

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/combinepdf (2).pdf

9. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

Do you honestly think anyone cares what you think?

10. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Apparently someone did, since he asked me a question.

Are you ALWAYS this stupid? Your posts indicate as much, but that might just be a message board thing.