This is Bullshit!!!!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Motor vehicles have to be registered in the state where the owner lives or works in order to get a license plate. But if I lived in NoCal near the Oregon border I would drive there to buy anything that would cost enough where the tax would be significant. If I bought say, $5000 of furniture I would have to pay an additional $500 in sales taxes in Louisiana. I don't know what the California tax is but I'll bet it's higher.

A friend of mine bought a new car in Louisiana and paid the sales tax as a part of his purchase. About a year later he moved to California and they wanted him to pay $1400 in California sales tax to register the vehicle. I can understand where they wouldn't want everybody buying cars in Oregon to avoid the tax but it seems to me that if you pay the tax in one state it would amount to illegal double taxation for another state to tax you again.

2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

yep, sales tax sucks, like I mentioned before, about every election they try to install one here, saying that it would provide added revenue and allow them to reduce the State's income tax rate. I always think of what my Grandad said, "If you think adding a new tax is going to reduce your taxes,.. then you're a damn fool".

Bengal B likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The sales tax laws for states within the United States are not subject to federal regulation. ... As of November 2015, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon do not impose state sales taxes, but each state has its own regulation on excise taxes, income taxes and taxes imposed on tourist locations.Nov 24, 2015