This day in history...

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jul 20, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

On December 29, 1845, Texas is admitted as the 28th state in the Union. Texas' journey to statehood began with a settlement of Americans on the Brazos River, led by Stephen F. Austin in the 1820's, when Texas was part of Mexico. Although permitted to settle there by the Mexican government, Austin's rapidly growing settlement refused to accept Mexican authority, and revolted in 1836, declaring themselves an independent republic. A brief war for independence followed, and after their victory, the Republic of Texas elected Sam Houston president, but always with the understanding that they would seek statehood.

On December 29, 1959, physicist Richard Feynman lectures at CalTech. Titled "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom: An Invitation to Enter a New Field of Physics," Feynman's lecture is considered the birth of nanotechnology.
    [​IMG]

On December 29, 1984, Do They Know Its Christmas, by a compilation of British superstar musicians calling themselves Band Aid, hits number one on the UK music charts. Recorded 3 week earlier, the song was conceived by Bob Geldof, singer for the Irish rock band The Boomtown Rats, after seeing a story about "famine of Biblical proportions" in Africa. Geldof wanted to produce a smash single with all proceeds donated to famine relief. He was able to immediately recruit Sting, Duran Duran singer Simon LeBon and Spandau Ballet singer Gary Kemp on board. Bono, Phil Collins, Boy George, George Michael, Jody Whatley, and Robert "Kool" Bell headlined those who soon followed. Do They Know Its Christmas would hit the number one spot in 13 countries and be the top selling single of all time in the UK. It would also inspire an American copycat effort, We Are the World, and eventually, the Live Aid mega-concert for famine relief.
    Band Aid - Do they know it's christmas 1984 | HD - Widescreen 16:9 - YouTube

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

As I understand Texas joined with the provision it could leave the US if it wanted. I guess that didn’t work out so well

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have heard that Texas has the right to divide itself into as many as 5 separate states

mctiger likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

As usual you are...wait for it...wrong again! It was actually brilliant because it looks like they just might do it and I hope like hell they do because it just might set this powder keg off and we can set shit right once and for all. Weed out all you pussies the only effective way.

5. shane0911

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Didn’t work so well 1860-5. Doubt it would now.

7. shane0911

watch and learn

Where are you going? Californistan or Chicagostonia

tirk and Bengal B like this.
  8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I’ll stay right here in Louisiana

9. shane0911

Until I get rid of you, personally. Can't have your stance and be on OUR side

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I’m on the side of the founding fathers and true patriots.... not the Trump ass kissers or the liberal left woke crowd. I’m waiting come on and try anytime big boy

GiantDuckFan likes this.