Military Thirteen Years...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by alfredeneuman, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I need noise to go to sleep too. Even in the winter time I run a box fan at night. If its too cold I just turn the fan in the other direction. Its called white noise. There are even white noise generators you can buy and white noises apps for your phone. A few years ago a friend of mine had one he ordered from the Sharper Image catalog. You could set it to sound like rain or surf and some other sounds

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I have a noise app, it makes all kinds of rain sounds, thunder, tin roof rain, forest rain, wind chimes, fan, white noise, all that stuff, but I have to plug my phone into my stereo for it to work because the phone generates no bass.

3. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

I don't know, man. I've lived in some pretty austere conditions, slept on top of my turret for the first three months in Iraq in 2003, lots of practice diving underneath my tank during mortar attacks. But I'm a big fan of a bed, table and chairs. I've lived without for an awful long time during multiple deployments, no need to live like that at home. If that's what he's comfortable with, to each his own.

I did a year straight in 2003-04, no mid-tour leave, no break. You want to know the one thing I had to get used to again? Doorknobs. Dropped my bags in the garage the day I got home, and opened and closed the front door over and over, just to use the doorknob.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I make my own white noise using ear plugs. The sound of my own breathing and heartbeat helps me sleep.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

@LaSalleAve yeah I'm going with @alfredeneuman on this. I enjoy all that shit and like he said, you go without for too long and it makes you want it even more.

Those places can phucked people up pretty good though. It can change a man.

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Dunno bout the jet noise thing. Guess if they were high enough, maybe. I was not a tanker but I did spend 6 years in tank battalions. Waiting in a field for the hett trucks to come pick up the tanks and move them to the wash rack... Ft Hood has a battalion of A-10 warthogs. From time to time, them fuggers would take advantage of a bunch of tanks sitting idle in a field and practice picking up targets. I can sleep on the tank line during gunnery, but jets flying over is some pretty intense shit. A-10's ain't exactly f-5's, but had a few of them too, more than a few fly overhead pretty low and your entire body just gets stiff. Takes some getting used too. Or I'm just a little bit pussy...

That doorknob thing...I lol'd! Something you never thought you would miss.

Thank you, Mr. neuman. Welcome home, sir.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

We live right under the flight path for B52s at Barksdale. When they're coming in they come in about 800ft up. It's hard to hold a conversation outside sometimes, but I couldn't sleep if I didn't hear them every night.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I live in Hundred Oaks, not far from Interstate 10. It's kind of a constant low roar in the background that you get so used to that you don't hear it anymore. But every couple of years they have to shut down the interstate because of icing and the silence wakes me up.

GregLSU likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Have You Forgotten?

alfredeneuman likes this.
  10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I absolutely cannot sleep without the whirr of a fan, even in the coldest dead of winter.

Last December, we lost power for three days from a big ice storm. The power went off at 11 p.m., and I tossed and turned until about 4 a.m., when I went out to my family room and cuddled up on the couch right next to a big window, so I could at least have the noise of the ice hitting the roof and patio to lull me into some sort of sleep.