There is Arsenic in Rice

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Damn, I didn't know this until today. Gimme an order of red beans, hold the rice

We first heard the bad news in 2012. Rice contains arsenic,Consumer Reports proclaimed in a riveting 2012 study. But it left us with a host of questions: Which types of rice have the highest levels of arsenic? Which have the lowest? What about other rice products, such as rice milk and cereals? And what about other grains?

In an update (and video, above) out in the January 2015 issue of the magazine, Consumer Reports gives us the answers to each of these questions, and much more—including the recommendation that babies eat no more than one serving of infant rice cereal per day. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Of the 128 types of rice tested, almost all contained measurable levels of arsenic, though levels varied depending on the type of rice.

2. Brown rice has more arsenic than white rice. Consumer Reports found that “80 percent more inorganic arsenic on average than white rice of the same type,” because “Arsenic accumulates in the grain’s outer layers, which are removed to make white rice.”

3. The level of arsenic in rice varies greatly depending on where the rice was grown. White basmati rice from California, India, and Pakistan, and sushi rice from the U.S. have much lower arsenic levels than other types, and brown basmati rice from California, India, and Pakistan has about one third less arsenic than brown rice from other areas.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/we-first-heard-the-bad-news-in-2012-rice-contains-103047447432.html

2. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

@Bengal B Fascinating and all but I'd be much happier to read your posts if you changed your sig pic back to the way the good Lord intended it to be.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You could die of arsenic poisoning in less than 175 years.

LSUDad, StaceyO and CajunlostinCali like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You got it @wrjay I'm willing to settle out of court.:):cool:

wjray likes this.
  5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

No mention of Louisiana rice?

shane0911 likes this.
  6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

All I got out of that article is that it would be better to replace rice with brownies and cookies.

Bengal B likes this.