The Trend Continues...........

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hub, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I think he was from Arizona or California.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I never knew about that system of making their players older. One year at that age means a lot in development, especially when you have a whole team of guys one year older. I remember kids being held back by their parents in 8th grade so that they would have an extra year on their peers in high school. Nothing is illegal about this practice but you still kind of look down on someone who does this to their child. On the other hand, if the kid really wants this too, is it wrong?

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I would not have kept them back for athletic reasons (mainly because my wife wouldn't let me) but I did kind of look askew at those who did. A good freind kept his son back and he ended up doing well both academically and athletically (4.0 gpa and QB'd the state championship football team. He turned out to be a great kid who got his degree and is now working as a Jr. Exec with a good company. Who's to say that the extra year of maturity didn't help?

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Re: ..

Well it does not matter if they live in the area as long as the student begins their 9th grade year at ECA. If a student were to transfer after starting high school they must live in the nearest public school's district to be eligible right away otherwise they must sit out one year. The public school closest to Evangel is Huntington High School. Although some people accuse Byrd of having a larger advantage since they can get a player already in high school and can live anywhere in Caddo Parish as long as they can get addmitted to the magnet program. But ECA's students do not have to reside in Caddo or even in the state although that would make approval by the LHSAA very tough, it could happen.

This issue happened when ECA played a student who resided in the Southwood district, this kid only played during garbage time with the 3rd team kickoff and stuff. He had no bearing on the outcome of any of the games. ECA forfeited 3 games in which it was determined he played in.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Tim Rattay came to Louisiana Tech from the Scottsdale, Arizona Junior College Fighting Artichokes (thats really their name) He is from either Arizona or California