The sun came up this morning....

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Jan 15, 2018.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If college rules applied Diggs’ touchdown would have been wiped because of the helmet toss. How crazy would that have been.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In college don't you have to violate a rule before you cross the plane of the goal to negate a touchdown? Like in Brad Wing spreading his wings.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I think Williams was afraid if he went for the ball he would get there early and get flagged for PI. That would have given the Vikes the yardage and stopped the clock, giving them the chance to set up for the FG try. So he went low and the unthinkable happened. What he should have done was pull up, wait for Diggs to come down and then wrap him up and tackle him inbounds (there was plenty of room; he could have held him inbounds). That's a lot to process in the instant it all happened.

If I may go on a complete tangent that I will try to relate to the conversation, remember the blocked punt? I pointed this out in the game thread, and its a similar situation. Taysom Hill was going for the block, but realized he wasn't going to get there. He made an incredibly quick decision to back off and then showed great body control to avoid contact with the punter. The comment's been made a couple of times that Sean Payton has said Hill could be Brees' successor. We never see what he does in practice, so all we can really evaluate him on is college hilite reels, in which he's primarily a runner. But I'm thinking if he can bring to the QB position the ability to process info like he exhibited on that punt block, then maybe he has the brains to play QB in the NFL.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  4. mctiger

I saw that today as well.

5. mctiger

Chill dude. These things happen so much more often than you think. Buckner and Smith are two great examples, and from Hall of Fame performers in their biggest games, not a rookie in a divisional playoff. And sometimes the Saints even benefit. I'll prove it with 4 words. "Hakim drops the ball!!"

Here's another... listen to Voice of the Vikings Paul Allen talking about Hall of Famer Brett Favre - I'm sure you remember this play:

6. LaSalleAve

That’s an interesting thought. I really like Hill. Could he be a Steve Young/Russell Wilson type qb? Those 2 guys are the only 2 I can think of that are and were an absolute threat running and throwing the ball. If you take away their ability to run they are still fantastic qb’s. Guys like Cam Newton, Michael Vick, RGTurd, and all the other dual threat guys I’ve seen are average to below average without being a threat to run.

7. mctiger

Dude's a gamer, no doubt. And I love that he's willing to do whatever he can to contribute. Unlike a certain Mr. Tebow, who probably could have helped any team in a variety of ways at several positions, but insisted that he was a QB despite evidence to the contrary.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

Very true

9. mctiger

I hope you're wrong about Breaux. I have no inside knowledge, but I think - at least in the OTAs and training camp - Payton's going to hang his hat on the idea that Breaux will play. He loves the guy....remember the story of his tryout? Where Payton supposedly worked Breaux out, then told Loomis, "don't let him leave this building without signing." He'll give him every chance to prove he can still play, IMO.

10. mctiger

I think we'll see Hill getting crazy amounts of PT next pre-season.