The Rebel Scum...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by PodKATT, Feb 22, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i think it was labeled a flag of racism after the war. People still get bent out of shape when they see the stars and bars, and i can understand why, its not what it meant, it's what it represented. I guess to each his own, they don't offend me, but i was never a slave, nor did i go through segregation.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I think you're right Nootch. It took on more of an anti segregation tone after WWII when the civil rights movement was in swing. I believe it does represent more than that though. I'm not really up on American history, but the civil war was about more than slavery or human rights...today though a racial undertone is melded with whatever it really stands for historically.

I think people make too big a deal out of it's symbolism and not big enough of a deal out of human dignity and respect. Forget about the symbol...concentrate on the issue.

I hope Ole Miss changes Col Reb into a lizard because it'll be a lot easier to make fun of their sports teams. But then the American Herpetological Society may come unglued. "Let my lizards go !!!" could be their PC battle cry. Cajun Sensation could be then commissioned to re write the "Hoddy Toddy" to something more anti Lizard in retaliation.:hihi:.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Doesn't matter. Mitsubishi is a logo of Japanese Zeros used to bomb Pearl Harbor, yet nobody cares about that. Probably because it was let go of. When you hold on to all this crap, you still believe it. Wasn't the Mercedes-Benz logo a third reich emblem? Or Volkswagon a part of the swastika family? I forget. We learned about it long, long ago.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

you might actually want to read what he said in the post about him and I disagreeing about if all white men from the south is racist. that is what I mean about attributing stupid shyt to me. Ive never indicated anything like that, how is that trying to have an open dialogue about race?
    Thats a pretty silly generalization to me, maybe not to anyone else.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You're right, it was way too broad a generalization and I apologize. What I should have said is if you are white, from the South and proud to be from the South you are a racist. If you are white, from the South and ashamed of it you are ok, my mistake.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

7. acemic

acemic Founding Member

How about the devil. So they can really go to HELL

8. acemic

acemic Founding Member

It was Volkswagen Nazi thru and thru.

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

They should pattern their new mascot after this guy:

[​IMG]

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not everyone, especially in Mississippi and the deep south, see the confederacy as racist.
    But in today's PC world, perception is reality, so Col Reb's got to go.