The Official "Trade Reggie Bush" thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by b_leblanc, Sep 14, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

that was pretty funny, but i agree with Twisted. Unless McCluster is still there in like round 4 or 5. See i would try and package Bush with maybe Fujita and a 6th round pick for a higher draft pick in the first to try and get Eric Berry. Then take a linebacker in round 2, or 3. They can get Peppers in free agency, if the year is uncapped. There are lots of things they can do, the offseason is going to be interesting.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The rules make it virtually impossible for us to go after Peppers in free agency, at least according to a nola.com article this morning:

3. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I agree the Saints should draft defense first, preferably a DL or LB. I said I wanted them to draft a DL in the Saints Draft thread today, pointing out that we may cut ties with Grant because of productivity, money and a looming 4 game Starcap suspension for him and Smith. But the Saints don't always do what we expect them to, (they invoke the best player available logic) and if they plan on getting rid of Reggie in the near future I think McCluster is a great replacement, don't you.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I really like McCluster, but I'm not sure he can survive an NFL season running like he does ale ole siss. I can't stand the patented Bush duck and dive but McCluster is going to really absorb some brutal hits with his take on all challengers style. But the bigest factor this season as opposed to other drafts with the Saints is that they don't need a whole team and must draft for need instead of the usual best player. Usually the Saints need players at every position, but that's not the case now.

The Julius Peppers talk sounds great if he is healthy and the Saint's can swing the dollars, but there is also a great need at DT and LB also. I'd have to rank the DT need as #1.

5. LaSalleAve

I like the Ellis and Hargrove combination. I would have to put defensive end as the main priority, followed by outside linebacker, then defensive tackle depth, then corner depth, but if they can trade up in the first round and get a guy like Eric Berry and have Sharper groom him, i see alot of Darren Sharper in Eric Berry.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

So let's replace a 4 year veteran who just helped us win a Super Bowl (whether or not you want to admit it) and replace him with an untested late round rookie? Whatever.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Neither DT is a pash rushing threat and neither was great against the run, plus Ellis can't stay healthy. DE is a big need at Grants spot. Eric Berry is a great player that will be gone long before the Saints pick at a position where there is not a currebnt need. Unless the Saints pick up a DT,DE and LB in free agency it would be a wasted pick and a crime if they actually traded up to get him.

8. LaSalleAve

Point taken. If we had another guy to compliment Smith on the end though, a true powerful speed rushing defensive end, all we would need Hargrove and Ellis to do is stuff the run. I have to be honest i don't think Fujita will be back, and it doesn't break my heart. The only reason i was advocating trading up to get Berry is because he is a once in an every 6 or 7 years type player. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they went after a DT then DE, then OLB. What other free agents are out there?

edit: here is a free agent link. Kyle Vanden Bosch is a free agent also.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DL&y=2010

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

On Pardon the Interuption, Wilbon and Kornheiser discussed the Saints cutting Bush because he is scheduled to be the highest paid RB in the NFL next season.:shock: Reportedly a few teams including Seattle may be putting out feelers for Bush. If there is no cap next year maybe Pete Carroll will want Bush. Isn't the Seattle owner a Billionaire. Maybe he won't care about the money. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.:popcorn:

10. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Agree