The NFL

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, May 25, 2018.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

The place where blind obedience to authority is mandatory and individual speech is stifled?

Sounds like you're mixed up.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

@shane0911 I was with you on your OP until I got to this line...
    Actually, that's not happening. 1A only ensures that free speech won't be censored by the government. A private entity, like the NFL, can make any policy it wants regarding what its employees say or do in the workplace. Also, the league isn't mandating a show of patriotism; the players have been given the option of staying in the locker room during the anthem, where they can kneel to their hearts' content. Furthermore, any penalty enacted if a player violates the rule is directed at the team, not the player! Finally, the league can't stop players from protesting, or - God forbid - doing something constructive to help solve the problem when they are off the field.

Oh well, @GiantDuckFan gets it. Its all about Trump, everything in America in 2018 is about Trump....I saw a kid on a bike miss getting hit by a car by inches this morning, and I'm sure if he had been splattered, that would have been about Trump. The only thing I don't get is that you seem surprised he said something "to make political hay." Everything every President says and does is political. Its always been this way. Why should this one be different?

I'm so sick of politics. I give the Trump presidency high marks so far, and yet I still wish he would just go away, so everyone will shut up.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

There’s an important difference between public employees such as police etc and private employees like football players.
    Whether racist or not(and I think NOT) the NFL was responding to the market. Last year attendance and viewership dropped. The so called protests cost the NFL money. In our system you respond to the market or go out of business. To make more of it is disingenuous at best. More like the leftist MSM attacking another institution.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  4. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

No not really. If you understand what liberals are trying to do here which is an overbearing nanny state with extreme cetralized control of our daily lives than Cuba would be the place you and Kap. It is you that is mixed up. The 1A does not prohibit a private business from retricting speech, dress code etc. When the government does it thats fascism. You seem to think the NFL can't do what they are doing but they can and should to protect their business.

My whole point is you side was Kap a guy who idolizes Fidel Castro you both should try living in Cuba.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So Steve Kerr was right then.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

IDK what did he say?

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He was right in that the NFL is catering to its fanbase. What he ignored is that the NBA also caters to its fanbase. No business can survive without catering to its market.

Winston1 and shane0911 like this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I was pretty lit up when I typed that up.

I see your point however mine is this. If these assholes want to make jackasses out of themselves then I say let em.

Sure the NFL is doing what it can to protect its interest and I understand why. They got hit in the wallet by those two fumblenuts last year. Is it any surprise neither of their punk asses have a job yet?

That is my point. They should be free to step on their own cranks with a golf shoe if they so desire.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Why is my "sarcasm alert" light flashing?

Trump is our President, our problem solver, who didn't try to solve the problem, instead he made it worse to reap political advantage. In my mind he was purposely harming America to keep his approval level steady with his base. If Trump ever rises to the level of "Presidential", I will shut up and support him.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Winner winner chicken dinner