The NFL

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, May 25, 2018.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

It doesn't and that is exactly the point I want to make so thank you. Trump has tried to make this about disrespecting the flag but it has nothing to do with the flag. How many NFL protestors have said that they were protesting the flag? None. They are very clear about what they are protesting: police brutality toward black people.

But you nor the President gets to tell people how they can or cannot protest. Should the tea party protests have gathered outside tea factories? People protest where they think they will get the most recognition for their cause. These players have their biggest voice on Sunday when the cameras are watching and they have elected to use their platform to shine light on their belief that black people are being treated differently than white people by police.

Trump wants to make this an issue that frames the players as un-American but what they are doing is uniquely American in the fact that we live in a country where one is allowed to voice their greivances under the first amendment.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why am I not surprised that you missed my point totally? The NFL protesters are disrespecting the flag whether that is their intention or not. Do you think even one incidence of police brutality whether real or falsely accused has been stopped by a few millionaire football players kneeling and showing disrespect for this country and all those who have sacrificed their lives to keep it free? It would be far more effective if they would use their money and their fame to work with community groups to foster a better understanding and respect both police officers and the black community. But that wouldn't get them the publicity they seek.

LSUpride123 and el005639 like this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Actually, First Amendment rights are between citizens and the government. Employees who work in the private-sector do not, as a rule, have First Amendment protection for their speech in the workplace.

Google is your friend.

LSUpride123, el005639 and Bengal B like this.
  4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yet they choose to protest during the flag and anthem. Which is why the majority of fans disagree with them.

Further, the bold is a fabricated lie.

No, the president gives his opinion; as you just have.

Again, the bold is not true. According to FBI data, blacks commit majority of the violent crime in the US yet make up 13% of the population. ALSO according to FBI data, cops kill more whites than blacks.

I know you are terrible at math. Maybe someone can help you.

Yes, they are, and majority of people are allowed to disagree with them.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Bengal B likes this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Nice retort Pride

6. Tiger in NC

And you are missing my point entirely that the first amendment does not limit how one can protest or exercise their first amendment right. It would be preferable to you if they protested in a different way and as a veteran I would never express my protest in that manner. That said, it is not for me or you or Trump to say how anyone protests as long as they do so peacefully.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

It sure as fuck is for anyone to say. In agreement or disagreement. We all have that right. Dont be daft.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. Tiger in NC

fair point regarding their employers however that is not what we were discussing. we were discussing Trump's attempt to label these players as unpatriotic or un-American because they have chosen to protest during the national anthem.

to your point about employers I would be very careful, as an employer, to punish anyone for their religious or political views.

9. Tiger in NC

Yes, because they believe, right or wrong, that black people are treated differently by law enforcement than white people are. Expressing this belief is not contingent upon whether you or any amount of people approve or disapprove. Do you take a poll before you stand up for what you believe in?

And none of this has anything to do with what I said. I said that, right or wrong, these players believe that black people are treated differently than white people while in police custody or when confronting police. I said nothing about crime rates or who is killing who.

It's obvious that you don't like it but you don't get to change it just because you don't like it.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yes it does. The american people know the facts. SO their protest are wrong on many levels.

Yet the NFL DID change it....