The mock draft thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Jan 9, 2015.

1. old school

old school Veteran Member

[QUOTE=" I don't want to lose picks trading up and I don't want to see another all flash no splash offensive weapon or a CB that can't cover his own ass with a blanket.[/QUOTE]

Amen, unfortunately our success with Corners have been abysmal historically. Not only through the draft, but with trades, free agents, etc.. Fred Thomas, the smallish guy the Colts dumped on us, Champ Bailey, the list goes on an on.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. old school

old school Veteran Member

Very informative post about the various positions picked in the first round LSUDad. Most knew that not many RB's get picked in the 1st round anymore, but as far as the breakdown of other positions I really didn't remember. I wonder if there is a recent historical trend which would give us a hint at what positions will be more likely to be less picked over by the time we get to our second pick late in the first round? That would be interesting.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Not to say they won't have a RB in the first round, Melvin Gordon and Gurley are two that could get called. Like I always say, it only takes that one team to like a player. Along those lines, a wild pick or two, throws the draft on it ear. But like I posted and said before, the Saints messed up with last years draft, Payton let them know, can't have that again. He needs guys that can help now, not in two-three years. (See my post above)
    Last year, I liked Hill, OBJ and Landry early, looking back, some of the teams that passed on these guys have to be kicking themselves. Like I say, there is a reason some teams are always picking early, bad picks.
    Some use best player available, some use team/position needs. You better have a plan when you draft a player this year.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Payton let who know? He's the man behind the curtain making the picks.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Not many HC make the picks, Pats and Philly coaches have full control. Very few do.
    Getting Unger in will help, there was a major weakness on the OL in the middle. But like I said, WR, LB, CB and parts on the OL need help. Unger and a great pick will tell how well they did with the trade. Graham and the 4th round pick will tell how well the Hawks did.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I imagine Loomis has a lot of say in free agent targets, but I have a hard time believing Payton has anything less than 99.9% control of draft picks.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Maybe that was why they had such a bad draft last year?

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Saints could have gotten Unger without giving up Graham. Seahawks stole him. Reminds me of what Jimmy Johnson Sid when he traded Herschel Walker for 5 picks and ended up wit Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin and Enmity Smith.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Talking with someone from within, Payton and Loomis get together on many of the picks on the O side of the ball. Ryan has maybe a little too much of a say so with the D. Look where most of the misses were. When you draft a CB in the 2nd round and he only plays 8 snaps, big miss.

Bengal B likes this.