Democrats The mask is slipping

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Jul 29, 2018.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Well, I hate to disagree again, but I’m not certain sending money to states is all that great an idea.

Here in NC the legislators are a bunch of idiots. Every time they have muddled in the schools, they have made them worse. Same can be said, times 100, for the state Department of Education. The head of that quagmire is elected, based on some qualifications. O . . . M . . .G. The stuff those dotards have set up or contracted for is shocking. I’ve been on the receiving end of their crap. It may have changed, but, for example, teachers’ performance evaluation was 20+ pages, with a 50 page book to “explain” the process!

In addition, sending money to states would be hugely expensive and inefficient. The one awesome benefit of Common Core (which receives an F- on implementation) would have been to standardize textbooks, teaching aids, even teacher education. Instead of buying , say 200,000 7th grade math books, the demand would be for 10 million. Unit price would plummet.

Harsh reality of “send money to states” is that your kid will get a Texas, California, or possibly Florida education since those are huge textbook buying states. I can assure you, the great state of Louisiana, or North Carolina, can not afford custom textbooks, tailored to a States unique curriculum.

Not that the Feds are a lot better, but it does make education more efficient, has a bigger picture in regard to areas to emphasize, and has the money to hire the best.

But, having said all of that, the key remains parents. Manipulating their behavior (toward education) will pay huge dividends. Such outside the box ideas as tax breaks if kid makes As on nationally approved curriculum, mandatory parent attendance with their kid at after school tutoring, or withholding driver license if high school grade less than “C” are several ideas that might work.

One thing for sure, what we have been doing isn’t working all that well.

2. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I dont think this exactly correct...i think the books would be regional in nature not limited to a couple of states.

One size fits all doesnt work. I dont want a country of 50 Californias or even 50 Texas . Each part of the country shoudl be able to tailor thier education to what is needed in that region.

i would guess that vast majority of tax paying citizens do have a vested interest in their childs education already, so impact would not go where it is needed, unless you continue with the insane idea of negative taxes.

These could work in my opinion.

3. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

That's it? I wish we had universal premium health care for all Americans, free education at every level for all, even adults that want mid career changes and pursue new interest, and a universal basic income. If money and consequences were no object these things would be wonderful.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Say what? You want the government to manipulate parental behavior? Good Lord. Having legislation that punishes illegal and immoral parental behavior is fine. Having legislation or any government plan to incentivize anything else is just wrong and fraught with unintended consequences.

Making "A's" is overrated, subjective, and not always a measure of a student's ability or potential. Likewise a "C" student isn't necessarily lacking in anything and could in fact, be brilliant and BORED with public education. There are lots of reasons why a student may be getting lower grades. The majority of those with a driver's license are at least juniors in high school so that seems a little late in the process to attempt manipulation of parental behavior. Withholding a driver's license punishes parents for sure but in no way does it guarantee the student will improve their grades. More than likely the grades won't change and the pressure on the family as a whole will get worse. How is that helpful?

The one good thing about Core is that it can facilitate the process where kids can pursue a career path more in line with their aptitude and interests. Not everyone is a fit for college. And people who are planning to be a music teacher shouldn't be wasting private school money on a career that won't yield a ton of money.

Private schools should focus on STEM subjects and stop playing race/gender politics. You either know how to do math and science or your don't. America can't be globally competitive by teaching about women's studies, LGBQT studies, etc. Make them 2-year degree programs and send those folks to affordable junior colleges.

LaSalleAve likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If you're a good boy you might get into heaven and have those things. Santa Claus doesn't have 'em in his bag.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Can’t say I really disagree with any of that.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

The one thing @LaSalleAve has been correct on is wages. They've remained stagnant for most all our lifetimes in relation to worker output as inflation has climbed. Thats what hes talking about here. I remember reading an article saying the peak earning wage was 4 dollars an hour in the early 70s--it is equivalent to $22/hr in buying power today.

We could do a better job of sharing the wealth and get back to showing a commitment to actual workers. That relationship seems to have been lost at the fault of the corporations. And its produced a couple of generations who now reflect it. Much of that synergy has been lost.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Of course it has, because of automation. I was at home depot the other day with 3 or 4 things in my cart. I made a manager man the register and scan my items.

Of course he tried to get me to use the self checkouts and I said "sorry bro. I dont work here but someone that does is going to ring me up.

He did.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

A quick example to your point. Back in 1982, a 3-day pass to Disney coast $32. In '84 and annual pass cost $125. In 2011, a 1-day pass was $85. For a SoCal Annual Pass in 2002, it was $105 and now costs $499.

Last week, union workers at Disney voted to approve a 3-year contract raising hourly wages from the CA $11 minimum to $13.50 and finally $15 starting next year. $11 an hour in Southern California will get you a cardboard box of an apartment that you have to share with other people.

10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

there are 49 other states

Bengal B likes this.