Democrats The mask is slipping

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Jul 29, 2018.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

See if sin makes you a piece a shit that’s also something I want nothing to do with. Sin is a stupid concept because it encompasses a slew of natural human desires and every day activities. No sinning doesn’t make you a piece of shit.

But being a ethical person only because some book tells you to is ridiculous. How about being a good human being just because it’s the decent thing to do? Not because some silly ass book says so.

2. LaSalleAve

You make an interesting point.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Tiga is a big supporter of giving 10% of his money to holy men. Does he reallize he is paying to support pedophilia?

4. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Oh come on man, you know that is not common. There are probably a million churches or more in this country and that is not what happening in them

Winston1 likes this.
  5. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Dude - the "silly ass book" is where human decency came from. It's ingrained in people because of that book. The whole fabric of decency in society is based on Judeo-Christian teachings. That book has been around first in verbal then written form for thousands of years.

Perhaps I am misreading this, but I think you have a problem with people who profess the Bible and then seem hypocritical. I do too. But because there are some that do this, doesn't make everything or everyone else like them.

el005639, Winston1 and shane0911 like this.
  6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

If you were to write a list of your top ten things that make you a good person. I am willing to bet they would all be found in the bible. Just as an FYI.

The "silly" book that was written so very long ago.

Winston1 likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Does that mean that there were no pre bible decent people?

8. LaSalleAve

Because those ideals are humanist ideals. Like Bengal said, no decent humans before the Bible? Would there be any if it never existed? And don’t get me wrong. I think the Old Testament is fascinating for a book of fairy tales.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Disclaimer, I'm Catholic.

If it happens to one kid, it's too much but I once read a study on the issue and it found there is no more abuse in Catholic church than other denominations. Thing is, other denominations arent centralized and make it hard to track compared to the Catholic church.

I looked a bit for a link but couldn't find it.

Here's something that may lend some credence to that point.
    Bottom line, unfortunately it's much more common throughout all realms of society. Some are teachers, some are congressmen, others, priests.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...ut-clergy-sexual-abuse-in-the-catholic-church

10. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

it's not that the religions themselves are bad, or only one is correct, (alternate paths up the same holy mountain as they say). The problem with religions are the people running them.
    Buddhism is what I can understand the best, but it has it's organizational problems too. Lineage is made a big deal of, especially in Zen Buddhism,.. it leads to craziness like, "I'm more holy than you because my teacher's teacher was the exalted Blahblah",.. it causes fractures and splinter groups.
    it's not a silly book, it's all in there, just hard to see it,.. I'm an unaligned unit, but I essentially believe in the Bahá'í Faith,..a religion teaching the essential worth of all religions, and the unity and equality of all people,

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018