The Louisiana snake thread.

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by stevescookin, May 21, 2012.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Point of order: the bad snakes are venomous, not poisonous.

Can't offer much on LA snake thread, except pygmy rattlers are also found in extreme SE North Carolina.

One thing for sure, you boys got some snakes down there.

Stay safe!

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

3. lsufan52

lsufan52 Lsu baseball fan from old box to new

water mocassins cotton mouths copperheads coral snakes blue runners king snakes diamond backs rat snakes are some i have encountered surveying years ago.,worst is the copperhead,cotton mouth,rattlesnake

4. stevescookin

Coral snakes are hard to find. I've had to smash open rotten logs in the piney woods to find them.

I never found one out and about.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You got any old sheds or outbuildings full of stuff that nobody messes with or country brush piles? That's where you will find your coral snakes . . . where the lizards and mice are.

6. stevescookin

I've torn open many a brush pile while herping and mostly found rat snakes there. You're probably right though. I love herping because you never know what you'll find when you flip a log over or jab a stick into a crevice. It's a rush when you uncover something.

I know, I said jabbing a stick into a crevice, Cajun Sensation or tigerchick in 3....2....1....;)

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

You're nuckin futs.

8. stevescookin

The worst bite I ever had was from a collared lizard in Oklahoma when I was a grad student there.

[​IMG]

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Lost a really nice Bass last summer to a few cottonmouths. Pulled up my chain stringer to find 2 of them face deep into my fish. Sad too the Bass was around 6-7#s, and was planning on having it mounted. Just dropped the entire thing back into the lake and walked off... I fucking hate snakes. Fishing banks is hard as hell too with all the damn perfectly camo'd copperheads around here.

KyleK likes this.
  10. stevescookin

We may need a frog thread....

Frog-phobic man awarded $1.6M over runoff flooding

CLARENCE, N.Y. (AP) -- Paul Marinaccio Sr. traces his fear of frogs to a childhood incident in Italy when a man holding bullfrogs chased him away after he'd wandered from the vineyard where his parents worked.
    Decades later, he found himself describing his phobia to a jury, calling himself "a prisoner in my own home" after runoff water from a nearby development turned his 40-acre property into wetlands and inundated it with frogs.
    "I am petrified. I go home at night and I can't get in my garage because of the frogs," Marinaccio testified in 2009. "They're right in front of the damn door, OK?"
    It was part of a seven-year legal fight involving Marinaccio, the town of Clarence and a developer that, according to The Buffalo News, finally ended last month when the state's highest court ruled that Marinaccio, who was awarded $1.6 million in compensation after the 2009 trial, is not entitled to an additional $250,000 in punitive damages.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...A?SITE=WWL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT.html

[​IMG]